Rascal...The Triumverate is Complete!

utahdog2003

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have no interest in collecting a slew of bikes...I just want to get back the three really great bikes that I've owned over the years...the ones that fit my style.

I like tight trails. The tighter the better, light trials style, lots of technical goodness, and not much call for air. I don't do air well on the trail. If I'm in the air, its because I've done something horribly, horribly wrong! I've had three bikes in my 20 years of off-road riding that have been nothing short of superb. They might not be everyone's superb, but these three trail bikes, the holy grails of Utahdog-dogma, are the cats niblets in my book.

My white EWR is well documented here, so I won't go into that one, but if you ever get the chance...ride an original EWR! Do it!

The Cannondale Beast of the East. Poke fun all you want about Cannondales. Do they creak? Sure! Are they Pontiac Trans-Am geeky? Hell yeah! Was the Super-V not the ugliest thing ever made? You Bet! But the Beast of the East, with it's 13" BB and feather weight is a thing of beauty on a tight trail. Ride one with finesse, and you'll never look back.

Finally, the reason why I'm posting this thread...The Klein Rascal. You Attitude and Adroit guys can keep them. Rascals share the same geometry with their upscale stablemates, and hell, but for the headtube, the Rascal IS an Attitude! But here's the goodness...a normal headtube. Sure it's one inch, and threaded to boot, but Chris King still makes that size! Deep Klein paint, fantastic weld-work and finishing, horizontal drops, internal cables. Built up right, and the Rascal will satisfy like, in my opinion, no other Klein before or since. Yeah, I've ridden a slew of them, and I'll stick to that.

And now, after selling my '92 in disgust after a bad wreck on concrete and an unfortunate Trek buy-out, I'm back with a Rascal.

Build will include a blue SDG saddle and Altek levers (because hey! ALL my bikes have Alteks and SDGs!) and I've got a NOS Paul Blue Balls seat bolt, but beyond that, my plans for the frame are evolving...right now I'm keeping it in my bed. I sleep on the floor. :shock: :LOL:

PICS!

Attachments

• IMG_2708small.JPG
    IMG_2708small.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,890
  • IMG_2706small.JPG
    IMG_2706small.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 2,890
Nice one... waiting to see it build up.

btw...I want Rascal also...I have ridden couple times and they are great bikes! :D

wow !!
i like it a lot !!!!
for the rest of the build.
blue ringles, blue cooks cranks, blue bars, blue cantis...... etc etc.... :LOL:

make sure you add it to the rascal owners thread ! there is loads on there now !! :cool:

Not suggesting you are predictable in any way, shape or form but I didn't expect a Klein in your MTB trinity ;)

Looks suitably un-pimpy though which suits the Utahdog 'no nonsense bikes' ethic :D

Neill

magicmistertea":3jsk0tzs said:
wow !!
i like it a lot !!!!
for the rest of the build.
blue ringles, blue cooks cranks, blue bars, blue cantis...... etc etc.... :LOL:

Nope. Only the SDG kevlar saddle and Altek levers will be blue. I don't even think I'm going to use any blue SRP stuff on it. I'll ride it though, so Ringle is out, and I want my kids to go to college so Cook Bros is a no-go too.

I've got a nest of green stuff, Alteks, Salsa QRs, SRP bolts galore, that I must say I fleetingly considered, but then the taste-police beat me to a bloody pulp and I came to my senses! :LOL:

neilll":3jsk0tzs said:
Not suggesting you are predictable in any way, shape or form but I didn't expect a Klein in your MTB trinity ;)

Looks suitably un-pimpy though which suits the Utahdog 'no nonsense bikes' ethic :D

Neill

I hear you Neil, and the typical and very popular Klein Moonrise, Seasky, MardiGras stuff is not my bag at all. I think that's why I was able to get this one reasonably, because it's an under the radar kind of Klein. My original Rascal was Charcoal to Maroon fade front to back with black lettering, built with Record OR brakes, 730 XT drivetrain, Cook Bros CBRs in black, and IRD post and 'Ricky Racer' stem, very understated, except for the Pauls Blue Balls. (then I lost my mind and fitted a set of 405gm Kooka cranks...which lasted three months before I stuck half the left crankarm in my leg!) Man I miss that bike! :cry: This Rascal will follow the same conservative lines. Most of the parts will be Deore DX (thumbshifters, cranks, derailleurs...because DX kicks booty!) And I've got a nice WTB New Paradigm/black 730XT/Mavic 217/Ritchey Z-Max wheelset for it. It will be a no nonsense bike...with knobbies...

...and dirt.

Sorry Klein guys...

:p

Thanks for the good words fellas! :D

klein

Nice frame!
I suggest to build it up with no nonsense silver and black parts. Nice contrast with the blue of the frame.
Are the decals white or silver?
Post pictures when build up, very curious....

obi-wan-mtb":16spfcr2 said:
is it ready?
looks like its gonna be a nice setup!

getting there!

Attachments

• IMG_2813small.JPG
    IMG_2813small.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 2,443
  • IMG_2816small.JPG
    IMG_2816small.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,443
Last two without wheels, I swear! :cool: