Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Picked this up for the more petite members of the family, both Mrs and daughter about 5ft. Was going to be just a cheap runaround but now not so sure........tempted to do something better

Anyway, this is what I bought

Image Image Image

Needs some work, have now stripped it down, took a breaker bar to remove BB, and now the cleaning starts. Need to work out how to fit a rear brake hanger as well as now intend canti brakes not the v's I had thought given some knocking about. I don't know much about these so thought I'd start a thread and plague you all...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:08 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Looks sweet! :wink: I'll get looking for the rear canti thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:31 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Unusual for this year frame not to have a brazed on canti hanger.

Most, if not all Oranges upto the year of around 96 had the braze on for cantis.

The prestige you have has the brazed on seatclamp bolt fixing, Dia compe has a Rear Brake Hanger, Seatbolt mounted attachment which would solve your problem.

Attachments:
dia compe.jpg
dia compe.jpg [ 15.16 KiB | Viewed 359 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:42 pm 
Retro Guru

yes it would, thanks for the thought, I think the dia compe one was originally for road bikes, I have something similar off my old carlton I had where back in the 1980s I swapped the old weinmann 730s for some centrepulls, and fortunately I never throw anything away :) but somehow it doesn't look quite right which is why I am keen to see what Orange originally intended on this one back in 1992. I suspect as such a small frame maybe there was less space for the hanger. I'll post a close up pic tomorrow. I've a small Hahanna for the Mrs as well, which didn't have a hanger either, but because someone removed it, but there's no sign of that here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:22 pm 
Retro Guru

so some close up pics

headset looks ok, and while the bottom bracket felt a bit rough this may have been muck etc around it as now feels OK and a lot better than it looks, I doubt it can have been too tight for 20 years. There was a huge amount of rusty dust in tubes when BB taken out (and even old label).

Question 1 - what is best way to treat tube interiors, or leave after getting all the bits out and not worry ?

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Forks, while aluminium look ok and similar to orange aluminium elite so leave for now. Headset looks ok although interesting shim arrangement for the crown race on forks.....but in first instance if it aint't broken....

The decals are replacements I believe, individual letters stuck on. I gather some had silver lettering although prestige was orange.

Question 2 - did Orange ever use silver decals on black paint ?

Grateful for any pics with silver lettering as I rather like it. These will be lost in cleaning up the frame.

Also included pic of rear brake hanger (or lack of it) but due to lack of space.

Question 3 - any pics of Orange rear hanger arrangements where no hanger, or will it be my 1970s weinmann hanger :roll:

all other thoughts, comments welcome, plan is to do a single speed but using period correct bits which is easy as that is what most of my bits are...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:39 pm 

Sorry dude, not had chance to sort it. Like I said, I’ve had at least 3 Orange’s this size of similar age and all didn’t have a canti mount but each had a different arrangement. This one had a Pace RC35 fork rocker link type fixing which I will take a picture of.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:24 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Same bike I had for a few month before it got nicked way back when it was new. (just mine was a wee bit larger)

Decals are the 93 decals on the 92 frame.
Forks wouldn't usually have them, so probably a decal refresh a year or two later.
(or at our base time).
I can never remember if mine had them or the older style.
I like them better (shoot me ;-))

Fork are correct, an expensive Orange upgrade. They make the bike really nice, at least when they were new.

Get a rocker for the brakes, Suntour Power Hanger. Tektro make a version now, don't cost a lot on eBay. 6 quid maybe

If only it was in my size.

The frame/forks go really well with a brand new full M900 setup.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:55 am 
Retro Guru

Thanks FluffyChicken very helpful and reassuring but...
FluffyChicken wrote:
The frame/forks go really well with a brand new full M900 setup.

:shock: don't get me wrong,

but if I had some M900 stuff I think it would be on one of my bikes like the Dean rather than this, however good the frame, this is just too small for me to ride. Neither my wife nor daughter would fully appreciate the M900 loveliness. Fortunately neither of them are on here or even lurk. Anymore of this and I might be looking for another frame, just larger and that is NOT the plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:15 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

hahah, I only know it looked nice as that is how I bought mine bitd.

XT or XC Pro, or just some nice modern stuff would work well.

I like M737 for wife duty, cheap (or was) and good enough.
Just like DX used to be before XT was relegated to that position.

Oh and play around on it like BMX.