1993 Saracen Race Elite - Sneak Preview.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

I picked this little thing up a year or so ago on my travels, it's been in the famous Trebz Loft with a stuck seat post, I tried everything to remove it but all the easy methods failed. That left me with one option, saw down the inside of the seat tube with a hack saw, it took so long you wouldn't believe. Anyway, here's the bare bones first dry build of the bike. It's not as pristine as some others on the forum but it's another example of the anomaly which was the 1993 Race Elite, a great frame with low end Altus components put on it. The left hand Altus shifter pod is broken beyond repair, hence the Dia Compe / Gripshift front end. The original chain set and rear mech are in 'Deep Clean' at the moment, like I said it's a sneak preview of the completed build. I'm hoping for it to be a factory spec example of the bike. For now it has a DX rear mech and LX chain set on it, just so I can keep an eye on the aesthetic of the build.

I need a seat post for it though and I was hoping to find a silver one similar to the standard but I may have to buy a more modern black seat post due to lack of availability on the silver one.

Re:

Sneak preview II. Original chain set, brake levers (Minus shifter pods) front and rear mechs back on although I don't think the rear mech is the original. I could do with help finding out which rear mech this one had, was it just an Altus A20, it has an Altus A10 fitted now ?

Build stopped, I need an Altus 20 rear mech, Altus 20 right hand shifter pod (LGF may be helping out there) and the correct seat post which I think is a 30.1mm, in silver.

Re:

Need to go raid some skips for Altus A20.

is it this one, in case I happen to see one.
file.php

@Fluffychicken. Yes, that's the one.

@LGF, Altus because I want to get it back to catalogue spec before I put it in the loft for ten years. If I were to build it for me proper, right now, it would have XT front to back with Curve chain set. Plus a little bling here and there :) Or Suntour XC Pro as I have a full group set waiting for the right frame.

The Suntour might go on the 1997 Zaskar frame I have.

I'm down to the bare naked 'Keepers' bikes now.

Can anyone help with the correct size for the seat post on this frame please, iv'e had the vernier on it but I really need to make sure I buy the right size.

LGF?

Back