Scratching That Polishing Itch..1992 Orange Aluminium Elite

abr303

Retro Guru
Oh not another Elite …. :LOL: Yep, there seem to be a couple of other ones currently having some magic injected back into them on here at the moment and all looking like they are going to turn out to be great builds too :) I hope I can do mine some justice hopefully but bare with me as the build thread may get a little pic heavy as things progress :LOL:

So, to cut a long story short, finding time on my hands currently as I've been furloughed, I made an impulse offer to a seller who had a couple of Orange Elite frames knocking about plus he had a complete bike and ended up going with this frame at a very reasonable price.....

KRdp0dql.jpg

A 1992 17" Aluminium Elite (frame no. A2033) early batch

It's seen some use but the welds are all good, no cracks or nasty dings and was apparently used to tour South America back in the 90's by the original owner. Often on many Elites these days, the lacquer is shot with the usual oxidisation getting in underneath so it needs to go and sadly so will the original decals as they are pretty gone in places... a full strip back will be in order. With this in mind I've already sourced a set of new decals from Gil so once the frames stripped and polished, on they'll go :cool:
2dazhYxl.jpg

agbDyTpl.jpg

gMnZ0B7l.jpg

SnX7FTKl.jpg

The build will be periodish XT, thumbies as opposed to under bar Sti's and a set of RC35K's (which are currently going through a full makeover and rebuild) but haven't decided on wheels and finishing kit yet etc. Will see what turns up and how the build progresses but what I do know, there's going to be a lot of polishing going on.... my arms ache simply thinking about it all :LOL:

Couldn't help myself in the meantime though and had a little go at the thumbies…. polished the aluminium up and treated the black plastic on the levers with some permanent trim restorer and blackened the mounting brackets :LOL:
yQMW9AWl.jpg

E8Ugrzyl.jpg

40oMSXgl.jpg

pchrexxl.jpg

1UeY1X9l.jpg

Also made a start on the XT BR-M734 canti's…….
sP2tIeXl.jpg

YoW7x9Yl.jpg

I've started working on the frame so will update when I get the chance and get some images up when time allows. Cheers :)

Re: Frame prep all done....thankfully!

Small update on the frame front ….It's been stripped of the lacquer and decals, rubbed down with several grades of wet and dry and ready for polishing at long last. Seemed to take forever and not something I'll be keen to do again in a hurry but at least now the fun part can begin. Bit of a slow process but it won't be long before we see it coming back to life again.... :) More updates to follow soon, enjoy this lovely weather we're currently having peeps :cool:

9DndUAZl.jpg

WCBPajNl.jpg

d5MoN7Sl.jpg

sgPjm2Ql.jpg

Ztbr5Col.jpg

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":60xwy7hu said:
Good stuff, it'll come up really well. Like the thumbies too. :cool:

Cheers, did a small test area and things look promising :cool: Thumbies came up well so have made some in roads on the mechs too. Something satisfying about seeing parts clean up well and all nice and shiny but maybe I'm just a bit sad :LOL:

Re: Re:

MR OX":1dv9q1p7 said:
Looking forward to seeing this. Love a bit of shiney :cool:

Hopefully it will come up well enough to be on par with some of the other awesome Elite builds on here :)

Blinkin eck that is an early one, I've never seen such a small serial number on an elite before.

Also loving the provenance that's it's been paving it's way through the pampas! :cool:

emjay":ldwayifh said:
Blinkin eck that is an early one, I've never seen such a small serial number on an elite before.

Also loving the provenance that's it's been paving it's way through the pampas! :cool:

Yes the serial number surprised me too, pretty early, it's like a few digits are missing :LOL:

It's kind of nice knowing its well travelled like that and looking forward to eventually riding it myself though I won't touring South America anytime soon. :LOL:

Back