97 Breezer Twister

tam_shadow

Old School Hero
Recently sold the 97 Ignaz-X - got a fat offer and was barely riding it cause, well...it was only good for coffee runs and was too minty to mod for offroad duty…

igx_04.jpg

Less than a day later this popped up on craigslist - low price, short on description with no pics. I call and turns out know the seller - he's mainly a roadie that keeps his stuff clean.

1997 Breezer Twister...still had protective film on most of the parts. According to PO it sat in a box until 2005, he built it up for his son who rode it TWICE then went for a “modern” bike.

twister_01.jpg

twister_02.jpg

The only non original parts were some cables, the ODI grips and the rear shock - Twisters were spec'd with the Fox Alps-5 so I was real happy he replaced that especially since he spent more on that RP3 than I paid for the whole bike.

twister_03.jpg

I added a Hite Rite from my stash.

twister_04.jpg

Also managed to stuff 2.4 WTB Moto Raptors on, trimmed a few knobs in back otherwise fit nicely. I just prefer big tread…the original Ritchey tires are on ice.

twister_05.jpg

...mint brass headbadge goodness...

twister_hb.jpg

It's a real fun bike, mostly LX bits, XT rear derailleur, M600 brakes with Avid 1.9 levers. Scanning the local ads for a decent donor bike to bring this up to XTR M952 spec and hopefully a good 80mm air fork like a 2001-2003 Marz X-Fly. Went on a ride a few weeks back with Joe Breeze and his son Tommy...all three of us on Twisters...

...it'll tide me over until I find the elusive 98 Lightning.

That's an amazing find, and great that you find it good to ride. URT designs got a bad name BITD, but I'd guess that most of the problems disappear straight away once you put an efficient shock into the equation.

Was your Twister more original than Joe Breeze's? That'd be cool!

Anthony":37xg2s2t said:
That's an amazing find, and great that you find it good to ride. URT designs got a bad name BITD, but I'd guess that most of the problems disappear straight away once you put an efficient shock into the equation.

The "Sweet Spot" version Breeze used rides great - it's almost a hard tail on the pedals and softens up in the saddle. Add the RP3 with pro pedal into the mix and it makes it even better.

Anthony":37xg2s2t said:
Was your Twister more original than Joe Breeze's? That'd be cool!

Well...Joe's Twister is really the prototype "Tornado" which was the top Breezer URT model in 1998 - mostly XTR M951 with IRD fork. Tommy's still has a Judy fork but was upgraded with XTR and has Thompson stem, Easton riser bars and fatty WTB tires (gave me the idea to stuff the Motos on after trying his out). But I def have more of the "out of the box" bike, too bad the kit is so mid range :( but for the price I can't go wrong assuming I can find a decent XTR donor.

Nice looking ride.I always fancied the Beamer myself but you don't seem to see many around.
Thanx Max

Beamers are nice - my mate Wilson has a 91 Otis Guy MTB beamer frame (they all shared the same bits from Alsop) that needs to be built up. The design is better for road duty, the rebound from the beam can toss you over the bars on a fast, rocky descent!

Make sure you wrap up the drive side stays with something to protect the paint. My 97 Twister is absolutely chipped & hacked up with all the chain slap happening. Of course I'm still running the Alps 5 shock and that may have alot to do with it but figured I'd mention it just the same. Great riding bike though, enjoy it!

Back