Rocky Mountain Experience, 'The Canadian Moose' **FINISHED**

sinnett177

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
In the first instance this project was going to another alpinestars, the cro-mega LX that for so long i've been collecting the parts for. But then along came this Rocky Mountain on the for sale section. I'd seen the frame many months ago when I first joined the site and if honest did'nt like the look of it too much, it seemed strangely medieval in it's appearance, but over the passing months it grew on me. So when it came up for sale (and in my size too) I simply had to have it.

So here it is, fresh out of the careful packaging it's last owner (the excellent elma) sent it in.

2008_0925RMountain0001.jpg

2008_0925RMountain0007.jpg

2008_0925RMountain0011.jpg

2008_0925RMountain0009.jpg

My plans are to polish the hell out of it, fit original (ish) decals (hopefully from gil_m), restore the Tange forks, fit a full Shimano Deore LX groupset (stolen from the alpinestars project) and kit it out with all Ritchey accessories. In line with the LX groupset the bikes colour scheme will be strictly silver, black and white. I'm still missing a few parts (see my signature) but hope to have this finished for the Forest of Dean Ride:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Potential spec as follows:

Frame: Rocky Mountain Experience

Fork: Tange cro-mo

Headset: Ritchey Logic threaded 1 1/8" (silver)
Stem: Ritchey quill type 1 1/8" some rise (black)
Handlebar: Ritchey Force Lite (silver)
Grips: Ritchey (black)
Barends: Ritchey (wanted)

Brakes: Ritchey Logic (silver)
Brake Pads: Ritchey
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore LX

Shifters: Shimano Deore LX
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX 31.6mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX Long Cage
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shiamno HG 90 12-28t
Chain: Shimano HG 90
Cranks: Shimano Deore LX
Crank Bolts: Brand X (black)
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Brand X (black)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano (wanted)
Pedals: Shimano SPD

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore LX
Rims: Mavic Xm317
Hubs: Shimano Deore LX
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Double butted
Tyres: Ritchey Alpha-bite and Ohm mega-bite
Tubes: Ritchey

Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Ritchey (wanted)
Seatpost Binder: Brand X bolt (black)

Weight: Unknown

Let me know what you think.

Good stuff, really liked this frame too. What period LX are you going for?

kaiser":2riyht6g said:
Good stuff, really liked this frame too. What period LX are you going for?
I'm going for the 93/94 21 speed LX with the xtr style cranks. Loved this groupset BITD, think it will really work well on this bike.

As for the saddle i'll stick with the flite. Although a Ritchey one sounds tempting, I much prefer riding with a flite.

Don't polish the hell out of it, they were never shiny shiny when they came out of BC ;)

p.s They are not light bikes, even though they are 7000 Alu, but they are hardcore :)

neilll":33eefbwa said:
Don't polish the hell out of it, they were never shiny shiny when they came out of BC ;)

It's got to be done Neill, the temptation of that shiny bare metal is too much. Buffed, decalled and laquered for this one.

Forks went off this morning for powder coating. I'm not a massive powder coat fan but a mate (who gets lots of it done) owed me a favour. Colour will be gloss black.

sinnett177":wfptyyxl said:
neilll":wfptyyxl said:

It's got to be done Neill, the temptation of that shiny bare metal is too much. Buffed, decalled and laquered for this one.

Forks went off this morning for powder coating. I'm not a massive powder coat fan but a mate (who gets lots of it done) owed me a favour. Colour will be gloss black.

If your gonna shine it I wouldn't lacquer it. Looks rubbish after a while and PITA to return to polish. Polish and apply some carwax, I'm having great success with chemical guys jetseal.

I'd polish it too, wipe it first with a wet Brillo soap pad, dry it off then get into it with Autosol, i've also used T-cut, then Mer car wax though i'll try some of the stuff Kaiser recommends.

I thought it was gold anodised though when i seen the first pic :shock: , may be the carpet :)

Some top tips there on the polishing thanks guys. I was thinking of buying this set from Screwfix and then waxing as suggested.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/75331/Abr ... -Kit-100mm

Hoping to get hold of Gil_m for decals in the near future. I emailed him last week about them but am still awaiting a reply. Does anybody know if he has any Rocky Mountain stuff on file?

Thanks for all the tips and advice, it's very much appreciated as always.

You need the old style Rocky decals in red for an Experience ;)

Name on top tube, Rocky on down tube, old 'Whistler Mountain' logo on head tube and seat tube....

Back