Kestrel CSX sub 20lb build

Tomianson

BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
Will start the thread with my intentions now whilst awaiting the frame and forks.
I'm lucky enough to one a Kestrel 200sc road bike from new and always wanted to sit a CSX next to it.

I've finally managed to source the frame and forks from Colorado, in red so I'm aiming to build a sub 20lb bike with all period correct bits.

Jimi911 did an amazing job with his here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=328271 so I'm going to try and take it a bit further and see if i can get below 20lb in weight. I may use some of the same bits, but likely i'll try not to copy too much.

So far i have sourced a 19.5" frame with matching Ritchey Logic forks (winging its way to me now from the States). I've also sourced a lovely condition Suntour XC pro groupset (also on its way to me now) and a NOS Panaracer Smoke Comp Lite 1.9 (again, on its way to me).

So when all that arrives in i can start to build and sort final bits. I'm thinking a mixture of black and silver components with black tyres, for a classic, slightly aggressive look.

Pictures, wrights, thoughts, details, ramblings to follow as bits arrive.

1st part ready for a picture.

A gorgeous Kestrel Carbon/Kevlar handlebar. I think this is a couple of years later than my frame-set, but what the hell, its authentic, very light at 120g and very pretty.

Attachments

• foto_no_exif-11.jpg
    foto_no_exif-11.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,970
  • foto_no_exif-11 copy.jpg
    foto_no_exif-11 copy.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,970
Pulled up a chair

OOOoooooo... A carbon weight weenie build!!!!

Is the target of 20lb a 'Nice if i can' or a 'Must at any cost'? Full retro?

you'll need to scrutinise the weight of EVERY part.

:)

My_Teenage_Self":3k0ik0fi said:

Every part will be scrutinised for sure. And aiming for must at any cost but we’ll see how it progresses. Napkin paper maths says it should be fairly achievable.

Tomianson":1z953ujk said:
My_Teenage_Self":1z953ujk said:

Every part will be scrutinised for sure. And aiming for must at any cost but we’ll see how it progresses. Napkin paper maths says it should be fairly achievable.

Oh, it's achievable... You've seen my Trek, Right? I got a bit obsessed in the end but I'm very happy with the outcome.

But, some bits can catch you out unexpectedly, wheels in particular, saddles, seatposts... and some of the lightweight kit I had was simply awful to use. The suntour XC pro mechs are among the lightest of the period (lighter than XTR) but you'll probably save a bunch of weight by ditching the cranks and BB.

Re:

... :cool:

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3800 (2).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3800 (2).jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,599
Back