1994 Claud Butler Antaeus 7005 (Finished Pg8)

Peachy!

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Two Lotuses done, A Marin & a Trek Mountain Mayhem 2020 Father & Son special to start in the new year and a 1984 Claud Canyon up on bricks whilst I hunt down parts…….

There must be something I can fiddle with? (shuffles over to his stash and has a little ponder) :xmas-wink:

I want…….I need..... to build a Claud… :xmas-big-grin:

Something to clean up and give a new life to, nothing to strenuous, nothing too costly (well its nearly Christmas Tiny Tim) & definitely no mad hunting of parts…… :roll:

Ah ha! A 1994 Antaeus…top of the CB range in its day, retailing at £1500! Original survivor picked up for £75, Why? Well why not, it ticks another top of the range/year box for the collection and, as I’ve mentioned before its another in the stable for my kids friends to borrow when they visit (so many don’t actual own bikes or if they do they’ve had a flat tyre for a year or more… go figure) and anyway if I did fall on hard times and had to resort to a strip down, it would definitely wash its face with easily well over £300 worth of kit on it….

See conservative estimates below based on approximately 5 minuets off eBay searching;
RD-M737 Rear Mech £20
FD-M737 Front Mech £20
ST-M737 shifters £30
FC-M737 Front Mech £30
BB-UN71 £10
FH-M737 Free Hub £20
HB-M737 front Hub £15
CS-M737 Cassette £30
PD-M735 Pedals £30
BR-M737 Brakes £20
Flite Titanium – scuffed £20
Tioga Psycho tyres x2 £20
Mavic Silver M231 rims x2 £20
Rock Shox Quadra forks £30
Tioga Alchemy stem £20

So this one is utterly complete as far as I can see and rides fine (ok the rear mech is a little sticky) RS Quadra shocks feel fine, “Just” a strip down and deep clean me thinks…… nothing too taxing.. more tea vicar? :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 1994 pg1.jpg
    1994 pg1.jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 2,039
  • 1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (1).jpg
    1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (1).jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 2,039
  • 1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (2).jpg
    1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (2).jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 2,039
  • 1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (3).jpg
    1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (3).jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 2,033
  • 1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (4).jpg
    1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (4).jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 2,032
  • 1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (5).jpg
    1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (5).jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 2,032
  • 1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (12).jpg
    1994 Claud Butler Antaeus (12).jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 2,038
Re: Back to my roots………….

Before the clan McPeachy rise and we start the great hunt for ‘the right shaped’ Christmas tree :xmas-wink:
I thought I’d start the strip down then immediately got distracted and decided to start renovating the flite titanium... :xmas-cool:

Attachments

• 0B0D2EF6-72F3-4A21-A7A8-411759FEB255.jpeg
    0B0D2EF6-72F3-4A21-A7A8-411759FEB255.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 1,989

Fifteen hundred quid and it came with Quadra forks. There should be a law against that sort of thing.

Duxuk":1zf7skwz said:
Fifteen hundred quid and it came with Quadra forks. There should be a law against that sort of thing.

Yeah they were way over priced..... the guy I bought it from said he bought it from his boss in ‘99 for £800! Then went on to say his boss reckoned it was £2k ‘cause it had loads of extras, which it doesn’t, it’s pure catalogue correct, so I’d say that was a little bit of BS.. :xmas-wink:

The catalogue shows a MAG21, you can even see the adjusters on the crown.

Their original retail price would have been for about 4 seconds before they were discounted.

My own Spectre was £499 down to £349 within a few weeks of appearing. The disc Cape Wrath with full XT was similar retail but discounted to around £700. The brand name just never seemed to shake off the tourer/ racer image despite being perfectly reasonable

Re:

That’ll come up nice for minimal spend - new cables and some grease

I recently pulled some ‘sold as spares and repairs’ RS Indys which are no different to Quad 21 and after a lot of cleaning and polishing moved smoothly like new - all they cost me was time and plenty of Judy butter

Will be following closely

Great buy for £75 quid, can’t go wrong. Some people buy close to that just for a flite saddle!

Cheshire1980":12q2yhhn said:
Great buy for £75 quid, can’t go wrong. Some people buy close to that just for a flite saddle!

Yeah, more fool them!
I vaguely remember sering the Antaeus in magazines etc, was always out of my reach back then, but for £75 and a bit of elbow grease that will make a cracking bike :)

legrandefromage":2fb2kta8 said:
The catalogue shows a MAG21, you can even see the adjusters on the crown.

Yeah good spot… I assume that was a bit of CB sales trickery…. You’ll notice the blurb doesn’t specify what version…. :xmas-wink:
I don’t recall ever seeing one sporting a pair of 21’s ? and I think the 1993 polished/bare finished version had Marzocchi’s as the option?

Retro Spud":2fb2kta8 said:
That’ll come up nice for minimal spend - new cables and some grease
Will be following closely

Oh I had you in mind all along…gotta keep Spud-u-like entertained! :xmas-big-grin:

Cheshire1980":2fb2kta8 said:
Yes, he had it on for £150, it re-listed three times, I offered him a cheeky £50 knowing I’d have to go get it… then I realised I would be passing his door whilst picking up the Canyon, so accepted his late counter offer of £75….. quietly pleased with myself….. :xmas-cool:

jimo746":2fb2kta8 said:
I vaguely remember seeing the Antaeus in magazines etc, was always out of my reach back then, but for £75 and a bit of elbow grease that will make a cracking bike :)
At 18” its slightly on the small size for me but still rideable… where as its just on the large size for ‘Our Jimmy’ but by MM20 it should be a great spare for him… :xmas-big-grin:

Attachments

• Marzocchi.JPG
    Marzocchi.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,888
Back