New bike Projects Orange C16R and Specialized FSR Pro.

mazdaman1980

Senior Retro Guru
Well having gazed and dribbled over some of the truly fantastic bikes on here i decided to post my next two projects, my Specialized FSR Pro which is going to get a complete overhaul and my girlfriends mint Orange C16R which is going for the clean old school look with a modern twist. I will post pictures of upcoming parts (most of which i am buying on here) and the fitting.

I am always looking for parts so if you have one of either of these bikes i would love to hear from you, perhaps if your building one also, i like to swap stories!!

http://flickr.com/photos/30774515@N02/

(I tried to upload but pics were too big so see link.)

2881960919_cfa78942de_b.jpg

2882794600_ec8621185d_b.jpg

;)

Ha ha ha

Thank you for that, it makes me laugh as i had one previously, the Extreme version in green and it was fantastic. People always judge on the back of what others say without riding one themselves. You need admittedly to make a few adjustments which i did but when under pressure they really perform and the suspension system is the best there is, and thats what the magazines have said for years, and lets face it, Specialized have dominated this market for years. I say to anyone take one out for a whole day, over the roughest terrain in the Lake District like i did and then tell me you havent come off better!

I am glad to have found a supporter and i will look to suprise a few people along the line. The contrast between my two bikes could not be more different but it will be fun along the way putting them both together. The aim for both could not be different as the Orange will be mint with ultra clean lines and will ozze simplicity which seems to be a very popular style with people on this site.

Could be a big debate here!!!

Talk to me about these bikes then.

I have some money burning a whole in my pocket as have been arsed around for 8 days trying to by an enduro and have noticed a few of these beastes on ebay going pretty cheap.

What sort of weight are they?
What sort of travel?
Can they be used as a good day out all rounder?

Cheers

Dave

Hi

They are great all rounders. They are so easy to manipulate. You can see from Bike Hoarders two they can be adapted to suit easily. You can get anywhere from 3.5 to 6 inches from the back depending on what shock you have. For XC definately 4 is best i think. as for weight i would say that you could build one that weighs around 25lbs, my last was 26 and was a dream to ride. I took it to Scotland, the Lake District and abroad and other than a few snapped chains and punctures it always did me well. I dont deny it has not been considered the prettiest bike but it will climb well (much better than you think) and when decending it will bring out the Dher in you!

I cant get my head around why they are so cheap but i would say take full advantage of that fact, you will be really suprised as to what this is capable of. Please understand that i am not being bised as i have the Orange and the Pace so i know my bikes. I just say look who has been responsible for the progression of full suspension bikes since 1991, when the very first (and admittedly poor) FSR was released. Its like Porsche, they have stuck with the same engineering principles and perfected it ever since. There is no smoother rear suspension than the 4 point linkage.

Anyway i hope that helps you. ( I learned to rant from my girlfriend!!!)

Hey

Simon

What forks are they as i am shopping round for some at the moment and getting 1.5' ones is quite hard!! Sorry 1 1/8th (i am so out of touch!!!)

That C16r has been through several RETROBIKERS hands. Jango TheGreenRabbit and somone else cant rember who. Glad to see it will get built up, at last.

You want 1,1/8" forks, not 1,1/2"....... Okay, just re-read your message!
They look like the original forks that came with the orange one, Judy TT long travel 80mm (oooh loooong travel!!!), minus the shock boots just to confuse.
I had one of those orange ones in medium, swapped it for the silver comp of the following year, in small. The bloke i swapped it with snapped the top section of the frame, well he was a bit on the chubby side!!! :LOL:

Back