boy"O"boy's 1989 Saracen Kili Flyer - AKA PINKY!

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi All.

Thought I'd share this one with you as I've just finished it.

It's a bit of a departure from what I normally present as there's no
i) In depth research with catalogue scans and magazine articles/ reviews
ii) Pictures of the frame stripped to bare metal and repainted
iii) Detailed pics of Autosol part polishing or rebuilding

No. This one has been built up as I received it! - with the main aim of getting out there and riding it.

My rider / child carrier / Summer holiday project started out as a MY2000 Cannondale F400 with a 1990 'twist' to the paint scheme viewtopic.php?f=21&t=397449

It soon became apparent that although the Cannondale looked the part, it was undoubtedly too small for me (especially with the child seat on the back!)
I needed to transfer the parts onto something else.... but What? - a bigger Cannondale?..... or try something else a bit different?

That's when I saw Darcus's Ad for the '89 Kili Flyer and thought I would make a good transfer. A Sunday morning Drive to Bristol and I was the new owner of a well used but solid Fillet Brazed Saracen.

1st thing was to remove the cable a inner which was jammed in the top tube. This came out with very little persuasion from a pair of mole grips.

The headset was dismantled and cleaned. It was then reassembled with new bearings and a new bottom bracket fitted.

Paddlingpool kindly sold me the front mech, MR OX sorted me out with the stem, and eBay served up the Saracen bars and Saracen branded Q/R lever. Everything else was directly transferred over from the Cannondale......except the Panaracer XC amberwall tyres. They were too wide for the rear stays and tight through the front fork, so a Panaracer Smoke Lite compe graces the rear and a shabby Tioga Trail Dawg on the front.

The frame is exactly how I received it - the Pics are slightly kinder to it than it looks in the flesh. There's a bit 'oxidization' and 'bubbling' here and there but only on the surface. Once it's covered in mud you'll never see it! ;)

The future plans are -
i) To ride this as much as possible - mainly family jaunts and the occasional off road
ii) Maybe ride at Mayhem... not sure if I'm available yet.
iii) Maybe Full resto long term but for the short term - enjoy the ride.

Here's a few pics.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• saracen kili flyer 5.jpg
    saracen kili flyer 5.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,801
  • saracen kili flyer 4.jpg
    saracen kili flyer 4.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,801
  • saracen kili flyer 3.jpg
    saracen kili flyer 3.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,799
  • saracen kili flyer 2.jpg
    saracen kili flyer 2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,801
  • saracen kili flyer 1.jpg
    saracen kili flyer 1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,803
Re:

More pics...

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• saracen kili seat tube.jpg
    saracen kili seat tube.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,778
  • saracen kili rear.jpg
    saracen kili rear.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,778
  • saracen kili chainset.jpg
    saracen kili chainset.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,779
  • saracen kili fork.jpg
    saracen kili fork.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1,780
  • saracen kili headtube.jpg
    saracen kili headtube.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,779
Re: boy"O"boy's 1989 Saracen Kili Flyer - Rat Build

I like these, and I like a not too fussy rebuild. So I like this. Be interested to hear how it rides!

bluetomgold":2vjacqec said:
I like these, and I like a not too fussy rebuild. So I like this. Be interested to hear how it rides!

Cheers. Yeah, can't wait to get out there and ride the Kili. I'd like to get it dialled before I 'have' to add the childseat. Just need a free weekend!

Will add a ride write - up when it happens!

brocklanders023":2vjacqec said:
Got to love a 89. :cool:

Cheers Ed. Was also tempted to have a punt on Adrian's '89 Kili Flyer Racer - but reality checked and thought I'd best start with just one Saracen!

Billy_":2vjacqec said:
Not quite sure I'd say it's a rat, it's way too nice for that!

Lovely bike though!

Cheers Billy. Maybe 'Rat' might be the wrong definition for this.
Normally I go belt and braces on my builds, so building a rider from incorrect parts and what I already had on a well 'seasoned' frame goes against my OCD tendancys.

bluetomgold":2vjacqec said:
Billy_":2vjacqec said:

Agree... "survivor"?

Maybe. Does 'survivor' count if the parts are non original. Ssshhh! - it's got lock-on grips. ;)

Cheers
boy"O"boy

boy"O"boy":2q37hgjm said:
bluetomgold":2q37hgjm said:

Cheers. Yeah, can't wait to get out there and ride the Kili. I'd like to get it dialled before I 'have' to add the childseat. Just need a free weekend!

Will add a ride write - up when it happens!

brocklanders023":2q37hgjm said:
Got to love a 89. :cool:

Cheers Ed. Was also tempted to have a punt on Adrian's '89 Kili Flyer Racer - but reality checked and thought I'd best start with just one Saracen!

Billy_":2q37hgjm said:

Lovely bike though!

Cheers Billy. Maybe 'Rat' might be the wrong definition for this.
Normally I go belt and braces on my builds, so building a rider from incorrect parts and what I already had on a well 'seasoned' frame goes against my OCD tendancys.

bluetomgold":2q37hgjm said:
Billy_":2q37hgjm said:

Agree... "survivor"?

Maybe. Does 'survivor' count if the parts are non original. Ssshhh! - it's got lock-on grips. ;)

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Definitely. A survivor should have been kept going by any means neccesary. Old worn out grips are no good for riding. And NOS is for garage queens.

bluetomgold":d79rp0cq said:
Definitely. A survivor should have been kept going by any means neccesary. Old worn out grips are no good for riding. And NOS is for garage queens.

Like that definition of 'Survivor' - suits the purpose of this build, whilst sounding like it's been 'looked after'
I'll change the tag line! :D

Cheers
boy"O"boy

bluetomgold":3t0hi0n7 said:

As promised...

So.... free time after getting the decorating completed early! :roll:

I got to take the Kili out for a Muddy 17.5 mile ride. Nothing too taxing.... just down the Ashby Canal and back to check set- up with bail out points if something went wrong!

I was expecting my back to suffer a little when I compared the headset height to the Orange Aluminium "O" - one of my favourite riders. I thought it would be like the head down 'race' position of the Ridgeback 704XT which is identical size wise.
I was pleasantly surprised though.... the rise of the stem helps out a lot, but for a 1.5hr ride it felt comfortable and agile. Normally, I favour Aluminium bikes as my riders... I like the 'buzz' feel you get from Ali, so was fully expecting the Fillet Brazed Tange Prestige to feel far more unforgiving. It wasn't however, the frame felt responsive and light - the rigid forks giving direct trail feedback, although the occasional rut jarred directly back through the wrists!
Mechanically - no problems apart from the rear mech needs slight adjustment - it worked well considering the clag that was running through it. The headset stayed tight... I was worried that this would work loose within a couple of miles - like the old days! :shock:
I was pleased I'd opted for Lock-on grips and you can't fault thumbies - they continued to index and I didn't need the friction option.
The old Amber walls fared well considering the conditions, opting for a smoke lite compe on the rear gave enough mud clearance. They might struggle a bit more for grip if there was more elevation though. For old tyres, they haven't fallen apart yet either!!

Overall.... I'm looking forward to riding this bike more. Maybe a lap or too at Mayhem? (I've got to check next year's availability 1st though!)

My Kids have also taken to calling this one by name - so from now on, she's affectionately known as 'PINKY' :D

Enjoy. :D
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Ashby Canal ride4.jpg
    Ashby Canal ride4.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,501
  • Ashby Canal ride3.jpg
    Ashby Canal ride3.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 1,502
  • Ashby Canal ride2.jpg
    Ashby Canal ride2.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 1,501