Yeti Zephyr

adamcoop280

Dirt Disciple
Three years ago the search began for a Yeti Zephyr. Inspired by Second Spin's restoration, and of fond memories of the cruiser craze in the mid 90s, the Zephyr seemed like the perfect project - rare, a unique piece of history, and something that would take a while to complete.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
For those that don't know (and I'm guessing most here do), the Zephyr was originally launched at Interbike to celebrate Yeti's 10th birthday, and to showcase Shimano’s new Nexus internally geared hub - as such, drivetrain was an easy choice. Yeti’s long standing relationship with Ringlé and Sun dictated hub, rim, stem and seatpost choices, while the high polished finish of Cook Bros Racing cranks and Real brake levers seemed perfect for the job.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
After a few months a frame was tracked down and... for the most part the project laid dormant. Slowly though the right parts popped up and by late last year just about everything was gathered up. The limited edition head tube badge had to be recreated - I had the art skills but no idea how to turn an illustration into reality - thankfully CycloRetro was able to take the artwork and create an exquisite brass masterpiece. The frame and fork was sent to Bikes by Steve for the fantastic paintwork just as the final components began to arrive.

Now I guess the question is... do I ride it? Sell it? Stick it on the wall to drool over?

Attachments

• IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,021
Re:

I love it, aside from the tyres. Sell it, the moment you ride, the tyres will look horrid.

Or change the tyres and ride it like you stole it.

Very cool.

Re:

Ride vs. Sell...

Depends where you live I’d say.

I live in pretty rural Herefordshire so a cruiser, much as I’d love to build one, would not get ridden.

If I still lived in a city I love that thing!

Back