Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
We live in a village, which means that most of my kid’s friends get shipped in by mum’s taxi, anyway, it’s now Easter hols and my daughter has asked if she can lend out one my CB’s to her friends…… :shock:
Apparently asking your daughter if she’s drunk is inappropriate… :?

Next question; Can I get a bike sorted “from all those bits Dad” so her friends can buzz around the village with her? (the borrowing of Jimmy's BMX a given)

Well, we do have a lowly Oracle from (I think ’94) bit tatty and bought for £10 from a house clearance dude, purely for the ‘Claud Butler’ embossed grips for my Pagan project..
Anyway, thought I’d have a look at what’s missing/broken and see if I can fix it up for this afternoons ride..
Missing/broken;
Bolt from handlebar stem clamp
Bolt/nut cable clamp from front derailleur
Front brake pads
Rear inner tube
Broken pedal

And a load of crap to be removed (kick stand, broken bottle cage bolts, bike lock bracket, torch bracket, pump brackets, front & rear reflectors.

Attachments

• file1-160.jpeg
    file1-160.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 1,463
Re: '94 CB Oracle, Help needed with Altus C10 changer service

Ok, so this lot got sorted pretty quick, longest job being rummaging around for the bolts.... But one little problem, the Altus C10 lever/changer, :facepalm:

After an initial positive movement, it now has stopped pulling the cable. shouldn’t be a big problem and this might sound silly, but I can't work out how to gain access to fit a new cable... any help please?

Attachments

• file-275.jpeg
    file-275.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,461

I’d unbolt it from the brake lever and look to see how the cover fits on. Try and work it back to its highest gear (that way the cable head should rotate to the position in which you change it).
Then sit the lot minus the plastic cover as it changes the colour of the plastic, in a solution of just bodily water and degreaser, after it’s been in there for half an hour you should find it works. Rinse thoroughly and douse with WD40 or similar and dry off. Then apply sone white grease into the internals, refit new cable and fit back on bike.

Hope this helps.

Minifreak":1qfzco9r said:
I’d unbolt it from the brake lever and look to see how the cover fits on. Try and work it back to its highest gear (that way the cable head should rotate to the position in which you change it).
Then sit the lot minus the plastic cover as it changes the colour of the plastic, in a solution of just bodily water and degreaser, after it’s been in there for half an hour you should find it works. Rinse thoroughly and douse with WD40 or similar and dry off. Then apply sone white grease into the internals, refit new cable and fit back on bike.

Hope this helps.

These tricky little suckers are separate from the brakes (see photo below) there are three bolts visible, one to unclamp from the bars, the second one is on top that releases the top dust cover, but doesn’t really gain any access to anything, the third underneath unscrews ok, but to remove that cover it looks like I need to remove the cable first... but I can't for the life of me work out how to gain access to replace the cable. :x

Attachments

• C10-001-Listing-600x600.JPG
    C10-001-Listing-600x600.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,444

Sorry, not so easy to figure without one in front of me. I’m pretty sure then you must be able to access the cable nipple from the gap above the top trigger. You’ll need to activate it so it’s on the highest gear i.e. press the top trigger until it won’t go anymore. If it’s stiff try pulling the cable at the same time. Once the mechanism has done this you should be able to push the cable through towards the triggers, of course it may be gunked in.

If you get really stuck post it to me, I’ll get it running nicely, install a new cable and post back. I can’t see that it’ll be worn inside as the bike doesn’t look into bad a nick.

Re:

Minifreak":d6m6bu51 said:
I’m pretty sure then you must be able to access the cable nipple from the gap above the top trigger. You’ll need to activate it so it’s on the highest gear i.e. press the top trigger until it won’t go anymore. If it’s stiff try pulling the cable at the same time. Once the mechanism has done this you should be able to push the cable through towards the triggers, of course it may be gunked in.

I'm pretty sure this is bang on - there should be a little bit of extra 'play' in the top trigger which reveals where the cable barrel sits, from memory. My first MTB was blessed with 100GS shifters which were almost identical I think. Good luck!

Ok, so putting it in top & with the use of a torch, I could see in the gap above trigger B where the head of the cable was. So as a process of elimination, I thought I’d carefully remove the cable, clean and lubricate it, just to see if a sticky cable was the reason it would only change up and down one gear every 10 minuets.
That made no difference, so I removed the cable, loosened the clamp and spun the unit over upside down on top of the bars. Without the cable the bottom cover came off easily.
After closer inspection I could see the spring on the return catch isn’t pushing the catch back in place and is very slow moving. Not sure if this is a result of old grease solidifying or a tired spring. It’s had a good going over with WD40 and a bit of a wiggle, I’m going to leave it to soak now.

Attachments

• 5AD6E885-740A-4CFA-A84D-C3AB983E1536.jpeg
    5AD6E885-740A-4CFA-A84D-C3AB983E1536.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,424
  • BBACE81C-5D98-4E03-A949-52D5733946FC.jpeg
    BBACE81C-5D98-4E03-A949-52D5733946FC.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,424

Success!.... :D at long last…. I’d used every lubricant I had in my arsenal but the spring on the catch still wasn’t strong enough to rapidly close the catch, it would still do it but after about 50 seconds, so not exactly ‘rapid fire’. :roll:
Then I spied the other end of the spring (red arrow) and tried a gentle tweek, pulling the spring forward by about a mm (green arrow) putting just enough pressure to locate the catch (blue arrow)

Cheers for the steer Minifreak ;)

My daughter was not impressed though…and reckons its too dirty to let her friends ride!
There’s gratitude for you…..I told her she knows where the bucket and sponge is… :?

Attachments

• AltusC10.jpeg
    AltusC10.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 1,404
Back