Imposter! (Kilauea content)

Rally_cat

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Here's my latest fifty dollar addition. It occured to me the other day, this is the first time I've ever owned two kona's at the same time. And there's currently two more in the mail :)
She's an 18" '93 with 94 decals, bad paint, chain suck damage and a dent where the front derailleur clamped. I have some work to do.

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

Strange thing to do! I'd replace the decals but save the original paint if I could, but that's just me.

I think that's the original paint, isn't it? It'll look odd to us over here, because the 93 Konas sold outside North America were two-tone, the Kilauea being that colour at the back but silver at the front. I first saw a single-colour 93 when Mechagouki bought his 93 Kilauea (below), which is vaguely the same colour as yours, although interestingly his is different from the colour in the catalogue that he acquired with it, and that looks a bit more like yours.

Incidentally, I'd be very surprised if the frame weight they quote there is true, and for once it is overstated. My 94 Kilauea with identical tubeset weighs 4.55 for a size 19, implying 4.4 for an 18, not 4.6 as they say there.

Attachments

• page 9 - Kilauea.jpg
    page 9 - Kilauea.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,458
  • 1993 Kilauea size 18 claret violet 2.jpg
    1993 Kilauea size 18 claret violet 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,458
  • 1993 Kilauea size 18 claret violet 1.jpg
    1993 Kilauea size 18 claret violet 1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,458
'93 Kilauea

Here's my latest fifty dollar addition. It occured to me the other day, this is the first time I've ever owned two kona's at the same time. And there's currently two more in the mail...

I love it. I'm guessing British Columbia is a great place to find retro Konas?

Thank-you. I can't say I'll get around to restoring it anytime soon but at least I'll have it when I want to. The bloke I bought it from said he used to race for rocky mountain in the 80's.

Not as many here as you might think or maybe everyone's hiding or hording them like I am? Seems more were sold in U.K. in my opinion.

Back