Explosif updated

IbocProSX

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I read mr K's Explosif thread with interest as here's my "barn find" Explosif. Bought on a hunch from a fuzzy picture on the web, it turns out to be a time warp 90's classic. Original bar the rear tire, but complete with dog collar, Joe's clips and a full DX gruppo. Used as intended but well cared for, just some of the decals went awol.

From the wisdom in that other thread it's a 91: solid single colour paint job, check, braze-on seat clamp, check, ovalised and tapered top and down tubes, check, bulging seat tube at the BB shell, check. Cannot see the frame number could it be under the cable guide on the BB shell?

Enough talking, here's the "as received" pictures: (current pictures half way on page 2)
Explosif_207s.JPG

Explosif_209s.JPG

Explosif_206s.JPG

Explosif_208s.JPG

Enjoy!!

Thanks and yes, I like it too.

Not seen a catalogue scan with this colour, nor another bike/frame pictured. Anyone on this forum knows more about the 91 colours?

TIA

Congratulations on an excellent find. The 91 Explosif was purple, and all 91 Konas were available also in black, so we need to find an explanation.

I'd say your paint is almost certainly original, with that Concept sticker adding a strong touch of authenticity there. So what occurs to me is that by 1992 Kona offered an Explosif Pro option, which didn't have a Pro sticker anywhere on it, but was recoginisable by its custom paint in 'any other Dupont Imron colour'. So I wonder if they may have started doing that in 1991, but too late to put it in the 91 brochure? in which case your bike would be rather rare, a 1991 Explosif Pro.

And perhaps adding to the case, the colour looks quite similar to this bike owned by an mtbr member, don't you think? Unless of course there was just a third colour option in 1991.

Attachments

• 1991 Explosif Pro size 20 w purple XC500.jpg
    1991 Explosif Pro size 20 w purple XC500.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 3,992
That's my bike.

Nice to see another one, congrats on the score! Is this the one from marketplaats?

I was confused by the years as well. I could swear it's a '92 from the colour and stem but the seat clamp and number stamped on the BB indicate 91. Confusing.

Thanks guys, we have a set of twins.

If it is any help there's a rather groovy looking colourful "The Bicycle Group" decal all the way down on the seat tube, I'll get a picture of that up this evening and look for the rame number.

Later...

Rally_cat":1dh8pgpg said:
That's my bike.
Nice to see another one, congrats on the score! Is this the one from marketplaats?
I was confused by the years as well. I could swear it's a '92 from the colour and stem but the seat clamp and number stamped on the BB indicate 91. Confusing.
The 91 serial number just says it was built in 1991, so it could be either a 91 or a 92 model. I agree that the seat clamp is 91ish and that's what led me to label the photo as 91, but that may not be conclusive. There do seem to be variations from spec sometimes.

The brochures say a 1991 size 20 had a 24.0 horizontal top tube and a 43.7 wheelbase. By 1992 it had become 23.5 and 43.0 respectively. How about yours?

I do have a 24" horizontal top tube but the 21" frames of 1992 had 24" top tubes as well. Out of curiosity I measured the bottom bracket to top of seat post and it came to a 21", not offered in '91. On another note I believe this bike has a lot of the original components, all being xtr, an option for the 1992 explosif pro, even the headset.

The stem even looks correct for 92 explosif pro. In fact if I didn't know any better I'd think the damn thing is titanium. It sure looks cool up close and magnets won't stick to it.

Rally_cat":1jqzgdkg said:
On another note I believe this bike has a lot of the original components, all being xtr, an option for the 1992 explosif pro, even the headset.

The stem even looks correct for 92 explosif pro.

The catalogue I looked up for 92 shows an all black Explosif pro including a black stem and a Suntour XC gruppo. Do you have another one?

92Page7.jpg

Latest posts

Back