Orange Prestige resto

minor_LEGEND

Senior Retro Guru
I purchased an almost-like-new Clockwork LX some years back. It was a 93 17" in the Purple colourway. Sourced locally on ebay & originally bought from our local dealer Ralph Colman's in Taunton, I just had to have it despite being a little on the small side for me. I rode about on it a few times but alas I really wanted something in the correct size & I eventually picked up a Prestige frame of the same year & coincidentally same colour in a 19".

The Prestige was nowhere as 'mint' as the Clockwork frame but that didn't matter as I was intending the resto at some point. Eventually I stripped & sold the Clockwork to a member on here & built up the 19" frame & commuted on it for a couple years in it's scrathed-up & used state until last spring (201:cool: when I stripped it for a repaint.

Cue the Malverns Classic nearing ever closer, I took it for the Orange powder coat base finish & set about spraying the white fade & adding the decals under the lacquer myself. This was all done in the 24hours prior to the Malverns event.

All of the components were clean & in pretty mint shape beforehand so the build went together very smoothly except for some stray powder coat in the b/b threads which my local shop chased out the threads for me avoiding forcing in the b/b.

A slightly scuffed L/hand crank got spruced up with some gloss black paint.

So the following morning, after a late night, paint barely dry I had this;

Literally pack the car & head to the Malverns!

That came out great!
I know M560 isn't fancy by any stretch but it's dependable and the black components look great against the bright frameset. A very sharp looking bike.

Re:

Does it look as good in the flesh as the pictures make it ?
:-D

Nothing like a last minute build and has it held up :)

How was doing the white fade (are you experienced at spray painting?)

And the ride?

Thanks for the kind words people;

I'm no pro-sprayer & the fade is flawed but I was happy with how it came out. I had most of the frame masked to avoid overspray. My boundaries for the white fades gradually grew as I strived for nice fades, so that was my main error. I should have started the white further in.

The bike rides great, one of the reasons I saw the resto through. One of my @Unicorn' bikes from my youth was a 91 DiamondBack Axis which I got round to building in 2017, but I quickly found it was nowhere near as nice handling or as light as the Prestige I had been commuting on. The Axis got sold on pretty sharpish at quite a loss as the Prestige would be the one to put my efforts into.

A few pics at the Malverns Classic 2018 event.

Tech Spec:
1993 Orange Prestige 19" frame (powder coated Dyno Rod Orange/white fade 92 era repro graphics)
Rigid steel Orange Fork
Shimano M560 1" threaded headset
Shimano M560 7 speed groupset -
Shimano Deore DX rapidfire + STI
175mm crankset 26/36/46 SG rings
Shimano 12-28 HG70 red label cassette
Shimano HG70 chain
Shimano UN91 cartridge b/b
Shimano M560 low profile cantilevers & XT M70R M system cartridge pads.
Wheels - Shimano M560 black LX 32h hubs, Mavic 231 rims
- laced 2 cross fr & nds rear w/DT s/s spokes.
Panaracer Smoke lite 1.9" R & Onza Rail F folding tyres.
USE black inline seatpost w/26.8 alu shim
Selle Italia Red label 1993 Flite titanium saddle
Syncros cattleprod 130mm stem
Orange Hot Rod bars faded Purple anodised
ODI attack copy Orange original spec grips
Orange spec Kalloy seat QR
Shimano inner/outer cables throughout.

Re:

I had a mint c16 in the same colour as your Clockwork back when I first found Retrobike. The bloke I got it from said it was from the first batch of c16's after the name change. :cool:

Prestige looks swell btw. :D

Back