Custom 94 Diamond Back Build

KingKong

Dirt Disciple
Yes, I still have my first MTB that my Dad bought me new back in 94. At that the I lived in South Africa and was crazy about speed and DH Mountain biking. Dad was kind enough (worried for my safety) to buy me a Manitou Comp fork and full-face helmet. That is when the customising of the bike started. My pass time between study sessions (at university at the time) and riding was going to paper weight to get MTB mags and visiting local bike shops.

In 2011 I emigrated to New Zealand and the bike was in amongst the items I brought with. I was commuting to work (about 23km) most days of the week when I decided it needed a complete rebuild.

So here is my 94 Diamond Back Topanga before the tear down:

Attachments

• 1.1.jpg
    1.1.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,141
  • 1.2.jpg
    1.2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,140
You cant upload pics untill you've made 5 (I tink) posts.

Then its down the the size, so the vast majority of them will need resized. Thankfully if you google Image resizer for windows theres some excellent idiot proof versions.
-Just see if i can find the one i downloaded yonks back. Been using the different versions of it for the past 10 years.

Here. Download this(Check, do whatever you need to do to scan it etc etc)
https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/
install
Straightforward to use.

It might then ask you when installed if you want to update it to the latest, up to yourself there, but nothing malicious, just they like when they get popular to start adding in toolbars and auto updates and the likes which is never wanted so i find this version functions fine and doesnt annoy me wanting to do anything other.

Yes, need a post count first, plenty of posts to comment on so could do it in a few minutes :)

Welcome to RB btw and look forward to seeing your pics

mark

Photo upload success finally.

Some of the first upgrades I did back in the day was:
Gripshift 600 shifters
Diacomp 7 brake leavers
Brake boosters
Manitou comp fork
Aviner computer
Aviner bottle cage
Continetal leader pro and compitition 1 tires

The rest was all stock as per day 1.

All bearings even the headset were shot so a total rebuild was needed. I had rebuilt the wheel bearings twice but the cups has seen beter days. Also I kept breaking spokes so they were tired too.

Re: Re:

"Like the paint scheme, nice bike.. :)"

Thanks it was..... hope I do the old scheme justice after the customisation :shock:

Some close ups of before.....

Attachments

• 1.3.jpg
    1.3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 1.4.jpg
    1.4.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 1.5.jpg
    1.5.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,053
  • 1.6.jpg