K2 Comp-1, 1994, conversion to winter weapon

Lefty le gaucher...

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I have a long-term project of rebuilding a 1993/1994 (not sure) Stumpjumper FSR that I bought more than a year ago. I got inspired from JJWood's "Project black": viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133156

Since only the frame was good to go for this project, I had to start looking for parts and found a K2 Comp-1 with an XTR groupset at a good price. According to what I found online, K2 had their bikes made in Japan in 1994 but I can't find the name of the builder anymore. Anyway the frame being not bad a all I decided to build myself a winter bike with remaining parts and a few new ones.

I'm writing this here so it can inspire others to build a winter mtb based on a vintage one. This website has been really inspiring and a great help so, as user PaintedDesert suggested, here comes this thread...

I do have to specify that when I say winter I mean a real winter. Not one with mud and rain but one with four months of less than -10 Celcius temperature, snow, ice and polar winds. I live in Montréal, Québec and here we are used to our nordic climate but you still look crazy in the eyes of your co-workers if you arrive at the office with your bike helmet in January. Although fatbike is becoming more and more of a sport (with reasons : Québec's endless kilometers of awesome trails), I did not jump in that bandwagon yet and don't really see it as compatible with city rides. Also, I've been riding mountain bikes a lot when I was young but had to stop after having 2 bikes stolen and the last one replaced with a Gary Fisher Level Betty that was too small for me and wich caused knee pain and a disenchantment with the sport.

Anyway, here's the K2 when I got it :

Attachments

• $_59 (7).JPG
    $_59 (7).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,246
And the final result with big SKS fenders that needed some trimming, a new steel fork, and a new bottom bracket to finally get the right chainline (this part of the job was quite complicated for me).

Attachments

• 09.jpeg
    09.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,241
  • 08.jpeg
    08.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 07.jpeg
    07.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • 06.jpeg
    06.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 1,237
  • 05.jpeg
    05.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 1,239
  • 04.jpeg
    04.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 1,241
The aluminium frame being light, it compensates for the added weight of the tires and stuff. Those Ice Spikers are really worth it (especially if you can find them at 50% like I did). The vintage Deore LX front derailleur is working like a charm and the cheap Acera rear derailleur is working ok with the new KMC chain. The fenders do rattle a bit when snow gets stuck in the threads but for now, it's the price to pay to stay clean.

Most of all, I get the feeling of being on a trail when I cycle the snowy city of Montréal and this is priceless.

One thing: Rapid fire trigger shifters are now really helpful when it come to shifting with gloves. Any suggestion regarding this aspect if welcome. My setup is 3x8 and I intend to keep it that way in order to be able to quickly interchange wheelsets when I need the Ice Spikers and when I need regular mtb tires.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Looks well chilly there and the bike looks cool too.
Re. the shifting. I've seen suggestions that grip-shifts works well with thick gloves. May be worth trying.

What is the grip like with those spiked tyres? I'm guessing they must drag a bit? Anyway, ride safe.

Good plan. One of my bikes is likely to become the winter bike, if we ever get another one. Not seen snow yet. I've also got a spiked tyre wheelset ready after a bad off on black ice last winter. Also have mudguards but they spoilt the aesthetic of the bike so I took them off. Your post has inspired me to be more practical!

Re:

I've a 93(I think) K2 full suspension bike ALR730, does anyone have any info/photos/catalogues as I cant find any info at all on the net?

Back