Tiny 93? Kona Kilauea?

CTK

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Going to build this up for my 8 y/o. Not decided on a retro or modern build yet but would like a proper velocity stem on it.

Yhkw2D7.jpg

WVZaBEP.jpg

Re:

Awesome bike. Tidy example.

Is 26" comfortable for your 8 year old? I'd have thought (probably wrongly) 24" would be better fit?

Re: Tiny 97 Kona Kilauea

I am having the same thought Coomber! He is on a 20" wheeled bike at the mo and he is too big for that. According to the Islabikes website he is just big enough for their 26" kids bike, I'm not planning to give it to him until the summer, should be OK fingers crossed!

I was tempted by this one myself, my brother went and looked at it for me but I passed as I only wanted the frame to upgrade my daughter Hahanna; she's had that from 8yrs old, same size and year and it's been great. Best advice I can give is maybe forget the velocity stem unless you can find a really short one otherwise the reach might be a stretch for a little one, and probably just as important get/make some shorter cranks. I cut down some Raceface turbines for hers and built it as light as I could to a budget; SIDs, Hope/217s, XT Vs, etc.

Some pics on this thread if you're interested: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=353970&hilit=kona
Now has a much better seatpost and some bigger bars on it.

Thanks for that top advice. Will look for some shorter cranks for sure and poss some suspension forks.

I'd stick with rigids for the time being, if you can get a short stem on there.
They're always going to be lighter. I was lucky enough to have some old 98 SIDs lying around that needed a bit of work, they're super light and being air sprung you can set them up to work for an 8-10 year old... coils you struggle with (although my 7 yr olds mini manitous only run one spring to work for him!)

Re:

As Al said, that is super cool :cool: .

Would you be kind enough to take a couple of measurement for me please?

The length of the Head Tube, and the measurement from the centre of the Bottom Bracket to the top of the Seat Tube.

Cheers,

Pip

Re:

Flippin' heck. That is totally bloody gorgeous. I'm biased as I love these tiny Konas, but that is one very cool bike, whatever age you are....!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Very nice.

Not a '97 though, is it, with those dropouts, threaded headset, canti routing ... ?

Back