Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:38 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:25 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Hey guys, I'm sure you are asleep resting for tomorrow so i should save my energy...

I had this for commuting a few years ago but was a bit small so sold to a mate and bought a grown ups bike :D Revolution Courier Race.

My mate didn't need it any more,and I needed a donor, but the time i got it i had 85% of my muddy fox anyway. the Muddy Fox has been without issues so in one day i have sorted the poor Apex out and now it feels like a true retro MTB sturdy, and knobbly. w00t

see ya at the peaks, what ya think? :D

picked up yesterday dinner

FSA risers I fitted 2 years ago
chained up the old thing spent the night outside so boss didn't kill me
Time to cut that chain off I fitted and wash it.
Alesa 6021 rims cleaned up, quite nice though my mate seems to have dinged the rear a bit
Exage kit, wierd cut out tooth
Modern knobbles i bought for the Fox
No move! :lol: big guards off!
cheat on rear mech, fit clean Fox item ;)
de riser, de flex stem and de ergo grip, my mate refittted em with oil :O add NOS Onza's

aaaaand

ready!

and retro mudguards sorted!

Last edited by reanimation on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Brings back some great memories.. those suckers were proper heavy BITD.. If you ever feel like selling it give me a shout.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:53 am 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

Nice, looked good in action.

Personally would have left the Flexstem on, but each to their own :wink:

I used to have a Ravine, which I believe was the one below in the Raleigh 'Off Road' range. The Summit was top, with Rock Shox 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:00 am 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Hello chap, hope you've recovered....I was ok yesterday but i'm aching this morning :lol:

Glad the Apex survived the Peaks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:16 am 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC

Looked great, especially with the reflectors (a nice detail). Looked as though it rode well too and utimately survived the peaks.

IMO put the flexi-stem back and look forward to riding with you again soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:56 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

In action!
Halfway house, well 2/3rds, doesnt too mucky here. Mr K checks out the factory matching reflectors 8) :D

My brain rattling around from exhaustion, I walk the line in front of Mr K
Completely fuggered by the end! fair to say the bike did better than me. :-?

weakest link was the brakes, not a lot of power from the OOS Old Old Stock pads on Exage cantis

mucky!
and a quick clean, not the cleanest but a lot better. :)

The 17" frame and 300mm post is still too small for my long legs but it sure gave as good as it gets, this is a quality bike, and a lot lighter than my Identiti modern. ;)

I'm quite glad I got this mucky rather than the Fox, but next time I'll fetch the Fox or other!

Orangeretro, its a good egg, a great bike of its day, first time I got on it i was surprised how spritely if felt and quality. I could be tempted to sell at a reasonable price, I've got projects coming out of my ear holes! :D

Pickle, Cheers :)
Great to meet you. :)

Hmm flex stem you say?

Back in the early 90's I dreamed of collecting £60 or £70 to buy a flex stem with my paper round funds, A set of Rock Shox were not an option at totalling the budget of an entire bike at £300 :shock:

I was pretty excited to finally get my hands on one with this, RBers were not so sure though, check this:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ght=#55779

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ght=#55820

:?: :?

I think I'll whack it back on, i know the Risers didn't work with it, created too much leverage. I struggled with the Zoom stem tightening the Muddy Fox bars.

Neilll, pleasure to meet ya and hang out at the back :D I'm not aching so much bizarrely this time. :?: The Apex stormed it, be even better without the camp wolfgard and reflectors, and a tad less pressure in the tyres, the final downs were tiring.

Sinnett, cheers mate, people either loved the flectors oor took the pizz :D
It really is a sturdy beast.

Yeah man, see ya soon, come round and check the BMX track ;)

--

So now what? I dunno, the Muddy Fox will take its crown soon, and I'm feeling something fresh project wise... would like to keep the Apex as well... :? :) was originally thinking of single speeding it or usng as a winter commuter, dunno, just dunno but if I keep I need a longer seat post... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:12 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

darmtb wrote:
Brochure pic and angles.
[img][img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/Darmtb/Retro%20bikes/Raleigh%20Apex/2008pics_8476.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/Darmtb/Retro%20bikes/Raleigh%20Apex/2008pics_8483.jpg[/img][/img]

I loved that Exage LT white finish when it was new :P

^ useful resource

Since the boss is out tonight I dragged it out of my hi tech storage. :D

its all too cruddy to just put back together even if I need it as an all weather bike.

So took it to bits, its amazing how much it still smells like sheep sh1t, and bearings are dry, even BB was slightly affected.

getting an idea of how it will look, but too grubby to imagine!

reflectors off, 100g :O no wonder I was slow at the Peaks :P

I ideally need a longer post and a Thomson is just a bit big budget with multi builds.Surprised that the original Proponent item is Cromo which is pretty cool even if it is short and 350g!

and she's in bits, well as many bits as i could sort. Big spanner in my garage so BB still in, and HS cups, weighing in just under 7lbs inc BB, what does that make it then? heavier than i thought
:idea: 5lb+++ 6 surely not!

8) 8) 8)
Specially for Raleigh AFAIK
stickers are shabby so not sure what to do about em. Also I got a funky green bolt kit but gonna be a bit of a clash of interests with the blue?

So there you are, I have got a few interesting and performanceish bits for this and hoping it will be even better when its done losing a little weight and a few gears. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:18 pm 

Nice (before the picture of it in bits!!). My bro had this bike, its still in the garage now. Fair play for taking it out for a spin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Cheers mate, Its really a nice bike though, take the one in the garage for a spin, I'd love to see it and see what you make of it. See looking back now, I had this down as quite a light bike (though my modern is heavy and alu), it rode light but that was actually with heavyish rims (+300g) reflectors :D (+100g) the frame doesn't seem so light , and heavy gears seatpost etc. No idea what it will weigh further down the line but will feel spritely and light, i cant wait to get training and playing on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Wow well I got the dry BB out last night, and balanced it on the kitchen scales!! Looking around 2600grams or over 5.8lbs with the headset cups in.

Amazing! same weight as my tough modern, but rides sooo much lighter! BB was about 350g So it wasn't superlight as standard at all . heavy rims, stem, seat post and frame. at least the frame should handle some action.

Its getting built soon alongside a modern bike, thats if nowt else takes its place in the meantime...