Schwinn Paramount Series 90 - 1992

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I had a good week last week, I sold some stuff, made a bit of space in the garage...… Then I went to the tip and picked this up, an unusual find. Space now filled :facepalm: At first glance, I thought BSO, then saw the thumbshifters… and then the XTR rear hub and looked at the Suntour bits. I think I'll have that! So, after a bit of interweb searching we have:

Schwinn Paramount Series 90 - 1992 the range-topping full rigid bike.

Tange Prestige frame - lugged
Suntor XC Pro groupset

:D

The rear wheel has been replaced with XTR / Mavic 717 :shock: whilst the front is original and knackered. The seat post is free - I've not tried the stem yet. The forks are some cheap-o replacements, which is a shame.

SP

Attachments

• P4.jpg
    P4.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,148
  • P3.jpg
    P3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,147
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,147
  • P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,148
legrandefromage":1jqydw0y said:
if those forks are replacements, check around the tubes for ripples by the head tube

Indeed, I had a quick look, but tomorrow will have a good going over in better light.

The chainstay was a worry, but it is supposed to be like that!

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":3mt3433o said:
Can anyone enlighten me on the link between Schwinn / Waterford / Paramount, please?

Basically, Waterford built frames under the Paramount name and for Schwinn as Schwinn Paramount. They are really nicely made frames, good pick up for free!

Nice bike, just a little on the big side for me though :shock: :)

I remember B64's build, very nice bike, love that chainstay, i have seen ones with both sides bent, think they are lower or later models though.

Great project and look forward to seeing more of it :cool:

mark

Re:

Despite being HUGE it is really light - even with the mystery fork. I love the chainstay and lugged Prestige tubes.

The XTR hub is silky smooth, but the front is seized solid.

I think I’ll have a rummage in the spares box for some bits to get it up and running and then hunt for some period bits.

SP

Re:

Jobs done:

- checked top tube and down tube with straight edge - totally fine :D
- Tried to remove cassette - seized on, had to resort to the grinder :shock:
- Took the headset apart, it fell apart in my hands - utterly stuffed.

Sorted the following components:

- Brand new (make unknown) headset, amazingly it had the correct stack height. A bargain at under a fiver.
- Ritchey ForceLite bars
- pair of wheels
- Amber wall tyres
- pedals and toe clips
- set of crap cantis.

SP

Back