'96 Pine Mountain

starmagsi

Devout Dirtbag
Hello all,

Just wanted to post a couple of pics of a '96 Pine Mountain I picked up a couple of weeks back. Thanks to the forum I spotted this in the ebay section one sunday afternoon and after realising it was only 5 minutes away it was a no brainer. It's not 'finished' yet and could do with a good clean, but it is all cabled up and ready to be tweaked and then ridden. I have added/changed a few bits and it may yet get the gold RaceFace cranks sat in the study...

It will be used for road/fitness over the winter then we will see what happens in the summer. In the background I'm still sourcing bits for the Team Ti so this will be a bit of a workhorse. That said, I took it for a couple of runs round the block when I first got it and it feels lovely - it's surprisingly light too.

Anyway, everyone loves pictures...

IMG-0555-1.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

steel Marins are great bikes to ride, and i think it looks fine with the silver cranks :)

mark

To be honest it's the first time I have ridden a steel non-suspension bike for years and it is so good.

I suppose it's easy to fall into the trap of believing that a bike needs suspension and it really doesn't.

Well pleased with it!

starmagsi":201aqn6u said:
To be honest it's the first time I have ridden a steel non-suspension bike for years and it is so good.

I suppose it's easy to fall into the trap of believing that a bike needs suspension and it really doesn't.

Well pleased with it!

Spot on.

Re:

Just going to leave this here for now.

Frame: Marin Pine Mountain '96 Tange triple butted

Fork: Marin Rockstar triple butted

Headset: DiaTech 1 1/8 Ahead
Stem: Ritchey Forcelight
Handlebar: Bontrager Titec Ti
Grips: Marin/Gripshift
Barends: Onza
Bottle cage: Marin lite

Brakes: XT M739 Canti
Brake Pads: M707
Brake Cables: Bog standard Clarks
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Avid SD-2.0

Shifters: Grisshift SRT800X
Front Derailleur: XT M739
Rear Derailleur: XT M739
Derailleur Cables: Bog standard Clarks
Cassette: XTR M900 8-speed
Chain: HG71
Cranks: White industries
Bottom Bracket: UN72
Pedals: Standard Marin w/clips

Hub Skewers: XTR M950
Rims: Mavic SUP 217
Hubs: White Industries front, XT M737 Paralax rear
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres: Continental Contact Travel 1.75
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Roox 27.0
Seatpost Binder: Ti Bolt

Weight: Not sure, but easily light enough for me...

Still a couple of bits to do. Have an HG71 chain sat here waiting to go on, I also miss my Onza stubby bar ends so these may have to go on soon - it will look better without them though I'm sure.

I'm not sure I am feeling the Gripshift at the moment either. I'm going to persevere with them for a little while but may go for some '8-click' XT thumbies if I can't get used to them. As you can tell, this is very much going to be a functional road/gravel/occasional-commute bike rather than period correct so old thumb shifters will suit me nicley.

Sorry for my poor photo skills, but I'm really starting to love this thing.

I even started to come round to the Gripshift today... Also, new chain fitted (HG71), feels so much smoother than the old SRAM.

IMG-0592.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

Back