1996 Bontrager Privateer - AKA I finally managed to get one.

slackboy

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
In the 1990's I had specialized. My dad's friend worked for Caratti who imported them in the late 80's so I had hardrocks, then stumpjumpers. After uni I got a rockhopper and when the retro bug hit a few years ago I returned to what I know.

But I'd alway hankered after a bontrager. I just loved the single minded ethos that went into the design. I lived near Mike Cookson cycles in the early noughties and they had an old Privateer frames still on sale for about £400. I really wanted it but didn't have the cash.

I've seen various frames pop up over the last few years - but not often and too small. I was really tempted by RobMac's Privateer a month or so ago - but I wanted to restore something and anything I did to that would make it worse and lose its originality.

Which brings me to this week. I finally managed to score a UK based bontrager for a decent price on ebay. Its only a privateer but thats OK. I think.

the plan is strip it right down get it re-finished by fastline coating in preston (KTM Orange, Kawasaki Green, or satin ruby red are in contention - although Nardo Grey looks interesting) and build it up in 1997ish XT spec. Finish it off with OR decals from Gil and it should look more like a a bontrager should. To my eyes the privateers were always a bit dowdy.

The bike I have comes with rigid forks so I'm on the lookout for some 1" forks, although I may fit a new steerer to the RC36's on my stumpjumper.

I also need a seatpost and probably a chain suck place or template for making one.

I'll post again when the bike actually arrives. Looking forward to this.

Re:

A pre arrival thread.

We get to sure the excitement!

Colour choices sound spot on.

Re:

nardo grey gets my vote :cool:

I'm toying with the idea of having a metallic mix of it made up for my next project. Now that would be a first :D

Re:

Bike arrived today. It's in much better condition than I was expecting to be honest. There are a few scratches on the forks, but mostly its just dusty. It still appears to have the original Deore LX brake pads and the seller said it had been in storage for about since the late 1990's.

Its a 17" / Large frame and I was slightly concerned it would be too small. Turns out the reach is only a bit shorter than my 20" stumpjumper and its similar in sizing to my cotic soul.

I'll give it a clean up over the weekend and then maybe have a re-think about respraying for now. I'm still tempted to make it orange to match the cotic - given that Cy was inspired to make the original soul by bontragers I'd quite like a matching set in garage.

First job is tyres and sourcing a seatpost, then trying to track down a template for the chain suck plate - anyone car to trace around theirs and send me the drawing?

The gripshifts will go too - got either some XTR M950 combo's or M740 shifters to go on. And if I go down the RC36 route for forks then I'll have to add v-brakes.

Just the one picture for now:

6U-hVqkTC53gm-9l1ZRqf4QCyplv-xL3ecogJwmhGWTTUKejquOE9jpaR_K4bo6V2Ztnijyce9yDSPeAmVNFHFqMlK2POEy0tLq_D3cfBBlbeK5UYn5CiOVFWH7cP2evHqcKl39eM79PMnhw_YvUN0PzxWes5O1Hm2QN8O1Q5fE6vdpj8KUE3VlCAbvFpld6KQMuUHm3YIDX0JsW4jbiB3HWDs-e3yUzo8gFJo0BXr5xEJb8c44IRWpC_l-Nedyr8uOAY9BjufcgdxZt8ypmbUNlqruCR00YZJHoZhrVGEu47XeLJHIOMH1UFRXBuw3JVDCuuzBte-T2E_IKcQ9ymitzmE5rllpFnmiXUPUNDYlT_R6vKHJiNgEP1bFWMRzv-ng1U8DOR4MEPdSQ6Akq-3KTfQqEeu9dl_EDhQMJFsl81yG0YNy4wGB6MdJ55_wpALnlgO8Am1tDkeMXKuCzu5aX6MuRvWLU-dBiXGvFwyT6QrtM5WcYVgFnRKL74agh2cbF8_GeEchbXukjStnlsFSoVmjVsZi4t01IxjSbfkZtv2yoij0eRh_s4npnmsU98odo3GbAgb_m2WeBtbR2zNyB7ulvqSHLuFKiItWPS7HoQIfWKCCMqAwc2YqfKJ3nKJF0bt9jwm2SHwiUpJfRZ1ACmIurSOsEkKrZ2dUVvXd_b8RaQDuCXszprA=w708-h531-no

Re:

I have a very early Racelite OR and I am pretty sure that the anti-chain suck setup is three small separate tabs. I will check tomorrow and send a photo. Indeed can measure it if it is a single piece.

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":1cjgefed said:
I have a very early Racelite OR and I am pretty sure that the anti-chain suck setup is three small separate tabs. I will check tomorrow and send a photo. Indeed can measure it if it is a single piece.

Thank you - appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back