Awesome Foursome Part 1 - Formula 1

mheywoo1

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Saving the best ‘til last in posting on my 4-bike theme, although it was the first to be purchased in May

Again, a bit of an eBay impulse buy, I saw it with 4 hours to go, legged it upstairs to read the MTB Pro article on the “Sunburst” full-susp First Ride feature, stuck in a maximum bid, stuck in a higher maximum bid and then it was mine

There was a bit of hassle with postage so eventually I went to pick it up from Horsham. Fortunately I’ve got a best friend living there and I also needed to collect a tent from Newbury so it all kind of fitted in to place

The seller was a really nice guy who used to work at DPS Compositd who made these and the first batch of Lotus (Boardman) Road bikes. He told me some really interesting facts which I’ll share with you later.

In the meantime, here is how it looked when I got it..,,

Attachments

• B71DB0B9-20EA-4D7D-A0A3-7B726DF0C3D4.jpeg
    B71DB0B9-20EA-4D7D-A0A3-7B726DF0C3D4.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,183
  • 65258F7F-027C-4483-8212-9BD7FAC0B3DA.jpeg
    65258F7F-027C-4483-8212-9BD7FAC0B3DA.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,183
  • F634FEEB-25EC-440E-8D76-A4CDEAA21364.jpeg
    F634FEEB-25EC-440E-8D76-A4CDEAA21364.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 1,183
An F1 has to be the ultimate UK carbon bike, this is amazing Matt, looking forward to the rebuild updates.

Re: awesome colour

Wow, not seen a formular one in a painted finish, or with e-stays. Looks amazing , what a fine discovery... I look forwards to hearing more about it...

Re:

Apparently less than 10 of these MK2 frames were built. They couldn’t find many buyers which is not surprising when you consider what the seller told me about the material value of the carbon in each frame.....

It was F1 grade carbon which at the time was around £100 per square metre for a 0.25mm layer. Each half of this frame is approx 1m2 and it’s up to 4mm think in places. So, there was over £1500 of raw carbon in the frame alone. Then it needed making. And the DOGSBOLLOX rear end had to be bought from Chas blah blah blah.

The frame was from ‘93/4. The paint is likely to be a few years newer as apparently flip paint like this was not available when new. This was likely to have been another £500 or so. The thing that impressed me most about this frame was the massive flat section behind the headtube. It’s comply flat. No carbon ripples, no paint orange peel. Obviously the carbon fabricator and the painter were both artisans.

And to think it cost me less than half the price of an equivalent spec DOGS! Retro carbon is seriously undervalued.

One other fact; that starburst paint that MTB Pro said would add £250 to the frame cost actually cost over £2k to do!

I’m really looking forward to taking it all apart and seeing how weighty the frame is

As for build.....
Silver Pace rings on the existing Middkeburn cranks, x-lite Ti bars and chicken sticks. I’ve got a couple of wheel options which I’ll try in the next few weeks.

Then I need to be a bit imaginative with the brakes and seatpost. I want a 27.2 Ti in-line and standard cantis. The cable routing is for Magura so I need a dogs-collar and cable hanger for the rear brake as V’s are just not right. I’ve got something in mind but not sure how “messy” it will look

I’m now on the hunt for a 115mm long X-Lite L168 Stem. WHY?

wow thats very nice.

I was so transfixed on the frame i didnt even notice the v brakes for ages :LOL:

ive seen this bike before somewhere, there might even be a thread on here about it :?

you have some nice projects now, look forward to more pics of them all :cool:

mark

jmazpiazu":mwj5wgmj said:
The color of that frame is just gorgeous :shock:

Yeah, almost Klein-like, wouldn't you say? :cool: ;)

Interesting bike, looking forward to see this progress :)

Back