Awesome Foursome Part 2 Bontrager Ti Lite

mheywoo1

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Saw this on eBay when I was at Carfest North. Diminishing battery on my phone and no way of re-charging it meant my final bid was made at 2%. God I was nervous!

Was intending to restore a steel Bonty Race-Lite I had, but this helped me decide on my best FE, AL, Ti, C bikes....

This is how it looked when I got it. To be honest not quite as good condition as I expected. Lots of nice parts, not necessarily the right parts though and many of them well used. All credit to the previous owner for actually riding it regularly though, which is more than what I’m likely to do!

Attachments

• 875062D3-22EF-471C-A8CE-BDC0CF5F558C.jpeg
    875062D3-22EF-471C-A8CE-BDC0CF5F558C.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 784
  • A4AD789A-0B23-446C-9F37-535A390D46DA.jpeg
    A4AD789A-0B23-446C-9F37-535A390D46DA.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 783
Having seen this frame in the flesh stripped down of parts Matt I am very jealous of your Ti entry, with the the right parts it’s going to be amazing looking and riding. It’s got lovely gussets ;)

Re:

....goodness this is proof that there’s still gold in them thar hills. Like Steve McQueen’s second Bullit Mustang last year turning up from nowhere. Lovely thing....

I used ride one of these, and much to my friends amusement took the frame to be autographed by Keith Bontrager at the 3 Peaks race one year! Eventually a chainstay weld (behind bb) cracked on mine...so treat with care!

Minifreak":25peigwt said:
Having seen this frame in the flesh stripped down of parts Matt I am very jealous of your Ti entry, with the the right parts it’s going to be amazing looking and riding. It’s got lovely gussets ;)

Yeah, would look great with your Tange forks, don’t you think Tim?

Re:

Prediminanty Ti build on this one I think. I’ve got Bonty Ti bars, Bonty steel stem, headset either M900 or CK grip nut. I’ve got a threaded Ti steerer on the way for either RC30’s, Tim’ Tange or some “home brew” rigid fork legs in a RS Mag crown

The Hope Ti-Glides look great in this and as it’s going to be the rider of the 4, I’ll pribably keep the black XC717 rims with some 2.1”
Tubeless Geax Tyres with grey sidewalls.

Brakes are WTB Speedmasters (been in the hunt for these for years) with nos Dia Compe PC Brake levers

Seatpost will either be the shimmed USE ti, unless anyone has something suitable in 27.0?

Drivetrain with be M900 shifters, cassette etc. I’ll try the TNT cranks from Minifreaks Yo as I have a feeling these will look great.

Then the critical choice.... what colour bling? gold or blue?

That's Lovely, Begging for M950 XTR with a Bontrager Adjusted crown RockShox, Bontrager perforated saddle, A smidge of Titec with some TI Bonty bars to finish for me I think.

:cool:

Re:

Always quite liked the gusseted look of these Bonty Ti frames but never ridden one. Looks like it should be stiff like a FAT Ti but have that amazing comfort ride and great handling they are famous for. Looking forward to a ride review. :cool:

Re:

It can’t have M950. That breaks the rule of “if frame hast rear brake hanger, ‘t shall be used”

I’m looking forward to riding this beauty. I’ve had a few Marin Team Ti’s from This era which rode well and a Saracen Kili ultra which I did not like at all. Far too bendy. I’m expecting this to be ace

I have a Rockshox RS1 crown on the way, to which I will fit my 1” threaded Ti steerer and my Custom made Lee Cooper rigid fork legs which will allow anything up to a-c of 430mm. I expect the sweet spot between sharp steering, aesthetics and a manageable seat to bar drop to be around 400 - 410mm. Anyone know if the geo if these was suspension corrected? And if so, to what length fork?

Cheers, Matt

Back