1994 kona fire mountain

BCTrailcruiser

Dirt Disciple
I lucked out with a free kona frame and wheelset from the classifieds. A bike loving guy was losing his storage, and was happy that it would get used.
My sister commutes by bike to work, and only has two road oriented bikes, she wants a MTB, and this should fit her, so here we go....

As brought home. Poor little thing.

And a quick mock up for fun. Still had the original a:/drive b:/drive tires, which were crumbling apart. The judys i had kicking around, and are a little soft for me. Will probably use the short stem and maybe some higher riser bars for comfort.

Th

Re:

Then I stripped it down to remove the worst of the decals

Hehehe

I took the frame to Canadian Tire and found that a Ford paint color called toreador red matches this thing perfectly. So with some paint pen touchups its not looking half bad.

This is a poor shot of a chip repair

Re:

I have seen alot of posts on here about paraffin degreaser, however i could not find any here in Canada? So i bought some zep brand commercial stuff and shined up the parts that came with the bike. They seem to not have seen a ton of use.

I shined up and regreased the wheels also. I used marine grease, for boat trailer wheelbearings etc. Hopefully that will be ok.

Re:

Blue and yellow are probably not going to complement the kona sparkle, the local bike shop sells the regular black white red rockshox decals, so ill pick two up for the lowers.

And this is where im at now. How should I lubricate these forks? Will my marine grease be ok? Has judy butter gone extinct? Im not in a major metropolitan area, so may be limited in options?

Re:

Thank you enc, your build threads were quite an inspiration to me before i started this project.

I found a thin grease and lubed the shocks and reassembled. One of the top caps got a bit mangled on reassembly. I wish they wernt plastic.

Today i had some free time, i needed a stand, so i managed to weld one up out of scrap. The clamp is a pipe split down the middle, welded to a door hinge, and the bold goes through the hinge to a captured nut.
It is an abomination, but will do for now, and after using it will give me ideas one day if i build a good one.

I went out to find a cheap headset and a used seat, but one place was closed today and one only had a 75$ headset and lectured me on why only they should install it. I did pickup a new chain. Dug through my parts bin, but cannot peice together a headset, i may order one online. Looking at the fsa hammer...any reviews?

Re:

Ok, i skipped a few steps, getting a clicking sound from the shocks to figure out still, but a quick ride around the neighbourhood looks promising.

Back