Gilles Berthoud all terrain bike

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
So here is my recent find http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=388739

this poor thing arrived at work after being left at a tip for disposal, I took a liking to it after seeing its 80's styling and hand built qualities.

after not too long it was identified by a big cheese and I decided to bring it home for some TLC

spec as you can see looks a little hotch potch but I would still consider high for its day.

Vitus 999 Alpine Cro mo frame tubes - no visible frame number
Vitus Rocky Cro mo fork
Mavic headset
Cromo stem
Tech 77 levers
Scott pedersen SE brakes
7x3 Gripshift mk1
Deore DX front mech
Deore LX M565 Rear mech
Deore DX hubs
Mavic Oxygen M6 rear silver rim
Mavic ------- hard anno front rim
Panaracer Smoke Tyres
XT seatpin bolt
Seatpost ?
Rolls Saddle 06/89 dated

Not sure where I will be going with this one but as usual, it will take a bit of time before it gets the RBG touch ;)

Enjoy..........

IMG_20180911_193247.jpg

IMG_20180911_193253.jpg

IMG_20180911_193312.jpg

IMG_20180911_193306.jpg

IMG_20180911_193328.jpg

Last edited:
Re:

Wow what a find! Looking forward to seeing that RBG touch on this :)

I really like Gilles Berthoud bikes. This is one of my favorite MTBs on the whole site (now belongs to member Landsbee I think):
viewtopic.php?t=153960

great looking project.

I know nothing about the bikes but it does look a nicely made frame.

mark

Re:

This is lovely, what are your plans for it...?

Shares so much in common with early Dave Lloyd's too, i wonder if they used the same frame/parts suppliers. seat stay collar, the style of seat stay wrap around finish, the rear cable hanger are all reminiscent of the Chaos theory . This is far better preserved then when my Lloyd arrived.

Cool mate.

Re:

I remember when this won joint BOTM with the Yeti C26, blimey i cant believe that was 7 years ago. :shock:

Attachments

• 20110707botmjune201101chowiberthoud.jpg
    20110707botmjune201101chowiberthoud.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 618
Re: Re:

sinnerman":1hyvjf4e said:
This is lovely, what are your plans for it...?

Shares so much in common with early Dave Lloyd's too, i wonder if they used the same frame/parts suppliers. seat stay collar, the style of seat stay wrap around finish, the rear cable hanger are all reminiscent of the Chaos theory . This is far better preserved then when my Lloyd arrived.

Cool mate.

Cheers S

Its Certainly had a good life and parts are a bit mish mash, It will get a new solid colour and I'm thinking that as it has pump pegs, full rack and mudguard mounts of maybe going a bit touriste with matching coloured racks.... maybe just a front rack? but we'll see, early days

Very nice catch RBG, you definitely have a knack of finding these early ones - will check for updates on this :cool:

Re:

narcotitlan":60shg816 said:
Very nice catch RBG, you definitely have a knack of finding these early ones - will check for updates on this :cool:

Thanks Narcotitlan, I am genuinely being picky on what I bring home these days, My new job (of over a year now) gives me access to stuff that to some is old junk, the last van load dropped off a giant terrago -full Lx, sunn tonic with M737 and M950, Cannondale M800 with added ringle and of course modern sh*te like white bros forks and a santacruz blur frame......... its amazing what gets chucked :shock:

I like my new job

RBG

Back