95 Kona Explosif

jinjrich

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So i had the intentions of finishing my Kilauea and adhering to the long haired generals '1 in, 1 out' rule... but this came up and i couldn't resist.

Excellently wrapped package arrived last friday... cheers jez :D . its a 19", which is great. I fall between an 18" and 19" so this one should lend itself well to longer rides and being a little more stretched out.

He wasn't joking when he said the paint was ropey... its absolutely f**ked! This will be a blast/powder-coat job i think... i'll let the pictures do the talking...

20180831_162929.jpg

20180831_162917.jpg

20180831_162845.jpg

20180831_162851.jpg

20180831_162836.jpg

20180831_162821.jpg

Owned an identical bike since new - still rolling in pretty worn out but original condition. So looking forward to seeing your progress as I need to begin my rolling rebuild at some point. Good luck.

Great frames, paint doesnt look to bad tbh, i would probably just give it a good clean and touch it up.

looking forward to more pics

mark

Re:

Paint sure is Rocked! Those red Z2 forks will look much better on this bike.

Put the P2 fork on the Kilauea and call it good.

tintin40":1wts9gc6 said:
What plans for the build? Restore?

Think i'm going to powdercoat to match the Z2, which isn't that far off the original colour. I'll then try and source some new decals, and build up with XT and control tech bits .

mkone":mokum56k said:
Great frames, paint doesnt look to bad tbh, i would probably just give it a good clean and touch it up.

looking forward to more pics

mark

The paints at the point where its not actually protecting the frame anymore. The lacquer has peeled almost everywhere and the metal is beginning to pit in several places. I'd like the Bike to be a real year round rider so i think its a good idea to powdercoat. I know a great firm who have given me paint like results on a few of my old restorations- its amazing how powdercoating has developed these past few years- it no longer has to look industrial and 'thick'.

Just got to find time to go pay them a visit and try and get a good match! In no rush though... the Kilauea is higher up the list!

Re:

Great frame, great project .. just thinking there’s quite a bit of rust pitting in evidence… im not familiar with powder coating … will that cover the pitting ? is painting the frame yourself out of the question ? stripping and careful rust treatment then high build primer will take care of the pitting … depends if you have the time or inclination I suppose. Preparation is 75 percent of a decent job ! watching with interest :)

Re: Re:

enc":3fga748k said:
Great frame, great project .. just thinking there’s quite a bit of rust pitting in evidence… im not familiar with powder coating … will that cover the pitting ? is painting the frame yourself out of the question ? stripping and careful rust treatment then high build primer will take care of the pitting … depends if you have the time or inclination I suppose. Preparation is 75 percent of a decent job ! watching with interest :)

I'm confident it would... take a look at my Caygill restoration i did a few years ago- it was in similar condition.

I haven't painted anything since i built a classic mini over 10 years ago... i'm sure i could do it, but i'm unsure i'd ever be totally happy with the result. I've read your resto thread and your results are amazing- but i know it always ends up costing more and taking longer! I think it just comes down to the fact i don't enjoy that part of any project!

Re: Re:

jinjrich":2v50dgbx said:
enc":2v50dgbx said:

I'm confident it would... take a look at my Caygill restoration i did a few years ago- it was in similar condition.

I haven't painted anything since i built a classic mini over 10 years ago... i'm sure i could do it, but i'm unsure i'd ever be totally happy with the result. I've read your resto thread and your results are amazing- but i know it always ends up costing more and taking longer! I think it just comes down to the fact i don't enjoy that part of any project!

Fair do's ;) if you don't enjoy that side of things it would be madness to even start.. as you know it's not s five minute job ..3 years and counting on my project :shock: :facepalm: I'm not renown for my patience in everyday life so it amazes me Ive devoted as much time as
I have. Materials about £35-40

Back