1991 Klein Pinnacle - AKA the Partsbin Pinnacle *updated*

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So on to another build to keep me occupied and hoover up parts off the floor, hot off the back of the Cinder Cone! It also marks a bit of a first time foray for me into the exciting world of Klein ownership - it's certainly no museum piece though.

This one was a cheap buy from Ebay, to be honest I was mainly interested in the forks, so the frame was a bit of a bonus. It's certainly seen some action and has at some time needed a little rewelding in the usual seat clamp area and down tube, so we will see how it holds up. Paint is still very bright though!

I'm really flatlining when it comes to spare parts now, but I should just about have enough half decent stuff left to make it presentable and period(ish) . I've already unearthed some mavic wheels on black Kona/LX hubs that look quite neat. Chainset was included with the frame, outer ring looks pretty borked but I can potentially use the rest.

It may end up being too small, but I might make this a winter ratter if it fits me. Here it is as of today :)

Attachments

• pin1.jpg
    pin1.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 1,410
Re: 1991 Klein Pinnacle - AKA the Partsbin Pinnacle

nice start. Love the green

Re:

Thanks guys! I hope to have it up and running before the month is out, with a little bit of luck!

First step is to touch up the repaired bits... I've plumped for Humbrol Fluorescent Signal Green which looks a very close match :)

Attachments

• IMG_4868.JPG
    IMG_4868.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,272
Re:

Some more progress :)

Enamel didn't quite turn out to be a match, but slapped a bit on the bare alloy areas anyway, looks a little tidier now. The frame has also been cleaned up a bit in general as well, interestingly the forks have a shadow from some old oakley stickers that I removed. No amount of T- cutting has removed this but I rather like the effect!

So far I've unearthed a Turbo Matic saddle from the parts bins, along with a generic alloy post and bars which suit the bike well. Some newer rubber has also been added in the form of folding Race Kings which I have always liked, along with some new purple Halo skewers. I'm probably still going to add a allen key seat bolt as well, for a bit more security.

I also discovered a M735 short cage mech in a filing cabinet that I had forgotten about, it was minus jockey wheels so I added some new Tacx versions with sealed bearings. I've never used these before but am impressed with the quality at first glance.

Typically In wasn't happy with my spares in the braking department, so some nice levers are incoming thanks to a member on here, along with a matching front mech (all mine were the wrong diameter). The next dilemma is if I use the MT62 brakes pictured, or some DX low profile brakes that I can swap with another of my bikes - to be continued..

Attachments

• IMG_4915.jpg
    IMG_4915.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,156
  • pin5.jpg
    pin5.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,154
  • pin4.jpg
    pin4.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 1,156
  • pin2.jpg
    pin2.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 1,156
Re:

Scored a bit of time off work, so did a little bit more building.

The YST headset seemed to be in fine fettle, so it's being kept - I just added a little more grease to the bearings. I do have either a Mavic 315 or XT headset to add on later, if the urge takes me.

I was thinking about a 8 speed cassette which would use the hidden click from the shifters I intend to use, but in the end I found a very cheap HG50 in 12-28 flavour, which will work just fine for a rider. I had some spare spacers lying around to take up the slack on the freehub.

All the remaining bits to finish off are now pretty much in situ, so I'm now moving on to the agonising choice of cable outer colour...I could use black (meh), or I have just about enough pink in my offcuts bag, thanks to the internal cable routing. The other option is some natty silvery braided cable.

I'm very tempted by the pink :p

Attachments

• IMG_4948.jpg
    IMG_4948.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_4946.jpg
    IMG_4946.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_4945.jpg
    IMG_4945.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 989
Re:

Bit more sorted today..

Finally dig out the shifters I intended to use, which were a dog rough pair of Deore that I kept pinching the better parts off in order to spruce up others! A good bit of servicing later (using the lrh rebuild guide on here) and they aren't too bad at all - and they work perfectly.

The front end controls are now nicely in place, finished off with Yeti speed grips that were also discovered in the home filing cabinet stash.

...and pink cable outer has indeed been employed :cool:

Attachments

• pin6.jpg
    pin6.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 831
  • pin7.jpg
    pin7.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 831
  • dx2.jpg
    dx2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 831
  • dx1.jpg