Restoring a Pair of Muddy Fox Couriers - His & Hers

dadstardeluxe

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, I thought I'd try something a bit different for me. A couple of weeks ago I won a nice 1987 Muddy Fox Courier on eBay. It was local and pretty cheap so I thought I'd have a go. It was also original, and I really liked it in a a way I couldn't really articulate. It just felt 'nice'. I got involved in the idea of a restoration. Wire wool, T-cut, Humbrol enamel & Autosol were all lined up on the bench ready to begin...

...and then, my wife saw the Muddy Fox and liked it in the same way as me. I had already found another pretty original MF Courier on eBay as a potential parts supply, but this one was a Mixte framed one. I showed it to my wife and she was sold, so I bid on that too, and won.....

Scene set, a double restoration looms, both bikes are in sound condition, the Mixte framed one is a 1986 model, I'd not had anything so early, my usual territory is early 90's, so this felt like fun.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 724
  • MF 2.jpg
    MF 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 726
The stripdown begins

The bikes were stripped, I carefully put all components in separate bags to keep everything together. The frames were t-cutted and polished and touched up with Humbrol Enamel paint. Both BB's were removed (nothing seized on both of them amazingly), and re greased. I really like the attention to detail, the standard Courier has the nice paw print on the seat stay, and the BB spindle and cups have Muddy Fox branding on them. These bikes are growing on me even more.

Attachments

• IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_1942.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_2134.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_1938.jpg
    IMG_1938.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 715
Cranks cleaned up..

Both cranks were cleaned up at the same time, maybe this is how these builds are going to go, in tandem, so they are finished together....

The chainring bolts are Sugino branded and there are a few that haven't made it, plating has come off, but I've seen a NOS set on ebay, so I might get a set when I get paid.

The rings are smaller than I would normally expect for an early MTB, the standard Courier has 48 tooth large ring, but the Mixte has 46, and the crank is 165mm rather than 170mm on the standard one, and they are different models, VP on the standard bike and VT on the Mixte.

Attachments

• IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 705
Re:

I was watching the gents bike listing and nearly hit the buy it now on several occasions. I was pleased it sold before I ended up buying it.

I didn't need it but it looked such a clean honest bike that I kept going back on eBay to have a look at it

Re: Re:

kalex":33ud59di said:
I was watching the gents bike listing and nearly hit the buy it now on several occasions. I was pleased it sold before I ended up buying it.

I didn't need it but it looked such a clean honest bike that I kept going back on eBay to have a look at it

I know, I was the same! Kept going back. Then the button was pressed.....

Re:

What a fine looking pair! I nearly scored a Roadrunner mixte for the OH, but she likes her modern hub geared ride, so that was a non starter...

In my opinion '87-'88 were the best years for MF, loads of nice detailing on the parts and they all seem extremely well built. Will look forward to seeing a shot of them both finished and together :cool:

Back