Nishiki Alien ACX 1990/1991?

danson67

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
OK...one of my unicorns: 1990/1991? Niskiki Alien ACX:

frameset bought from Valleyman here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=387664
Unusual in black since all the brochures, ads and reviews show the red version, but original:

Both the usual Nishiki cracks at the head tube and seat tube, but I plan to replace these tubes.

I don't really want to mess with the BB jonit and the fitting for the rear end, so I'll probably spliced in a section above the chromed rear end:

First part bought: the a chrome Tange Prestige Switchblade fork. In need of some TLC, but should come up nice:

All the best,

Attachments

• IMG_20180808_195212_zpslxzukgom.jpg
    IMG_20180808_195212_zpslxzukgom.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_20180808_195325_zpsvhcktjgn.jpg
    IMG_20180808_195325_zpsvhcktjgn.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_20180808_195234_zpslacsyoac.jpg
    IMG_20180808_195234_zpslacsyoac.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_20180808_195411_zpspwfekxbz.jpg
    IMG_20180808_195411_zpspwfekxbz.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 756
  • s-l1600-7.jpg
    s-l1600-7.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 759
Re:

That will look great paired with those forks.

There was one in black for sale on here a long time ago - maybe 12 years, but that's the only other one I've seen in black - although not actively looking I must point out.

They look much better in black and chrome in my eyes over the regular red. Hadn't noticed the round to square seat tube before, nice touch.

The one for sale long ago was eventually split by the seller - I bought the wheels, and possibly some cooks cranks too - and a chap in Australia bought the rear triangle (only!). I seem to recall that unusually, he had a perfect front triangle, but a cracked rear triangle, and so wanted to switch them over.

I would have kept the frame together, but sadly couldn't afford the frame at the time. I wonder where the front triangle ended up... I don't think it was cracked, so possible someone else again took that to replace a cracked one? Who knows!

Nice buy anyway, and look forward to progress pics of the frame repairs. :)

Re: Nishiki Alien ACX 1990

I agree, the chrome at both ends will look really nice with the black main frame.

I love these type of threads and am looking forward to the pics of your work :cool:

mark

Re:

Subscribed because this is a cool, unusual bike and I know the renovation is going to be interesting and well worth seeing.
Good luck!

Re: Nishiki Alien ACX 1990

I wonder where the front triangle ended up?
Yes, similarly there was a perfect rear end knocking about on eBay US last year.
I can see how that would happen easy enough, though.

I was considering buying it and making my own front end...No need now.

All the best,

Looks an interesting project Dan. Look forward to updates. Don't usually like black frames, but with chrome finish at either end it should look fab.

After carrying out surgery on plenty of other members Cracked/bent/Knackered frames
will be a little weird seeing you work your magic on one of your own

Cable guides missing for the front mech?
I don't think so, Tom. It all looks OK to me, if a bit convoluted:

Bare along the RH side of the TT to a stop, outer down to a stop on the elevated chainstay bridge, then bare around the seat tube roller and back up to a bottom pull mech.

a little weird seeing you work your magic on one of your own

A bit of a busmans' holiday, I suppose, Nick...although I have recently put a new headtube on my own 1991 Saracen Trekker Conquest Competition Hydrotech, so maybe I'm going a bit e-stay and square tube crazy :shock:

All the best,

Attachments

• IMG_20180808_195544_zpsge1fkhob.jpg
    IMG_20180808_195544_zpsge1fkhob.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 661

Latest posts

Back