1984 Salsa Cycles #52 "Moto SL"

Haaland

Retro Guru
Always been a fan of Ross Shafer and his Salsas - and when I got the chance to actually own one of the earlier I didn't need to hesitate at all.

The hunting for parts is all fun, but this time that will never happen. I'll leave it as is - a mix of new and old.

As Ross' spec sheet says - it was made for "Rich Guy", and he wanted a light one with the all new Suntour group. The fork is a very early unicrown and it has road wheels - Wolber rims rolled down by Keith Bontrager. So this bike actually has a cassette, not at free hub. Original paint was pooftaflage.

Frame and fork is all fillet brazed. Salsa Pro Moto SL stem, Salsa handlebars. This was a lightweight in it's time. Weight is around 26 lbs. Still feels quick though, stable and ok on the technical parts. If I only could have one bike, this would be a good candidate.

Brought back to Salsa for a repair in 1991 and repainted in a dark blue color with jellybeans. Not sure what was done to it, but the head tube have gussets like a Mountain Goat. My guess is that the head tube was replaced and that the guys at Salsa replaced it with a MG one just for fun.

Guess the brakes were replaced around then as well - now it have WTB roller cams. Brakes phenomenal.

Salsa SM052 by Bjørnar Håland, on Flickr

Salsa SM052 Specs by Bjørnar Håland, on Flickr

Re: Re:

M-Power":1afyagqi said:
Yet another amazing bike :cool: Where do you find them all ? :?

Yup, she's a beauty, I'm guessing they are all from Mombat? Pooftaflage would have been cool but I really like the dark blue with jelly beans too.

Re: Re:

Rod_Saetan":23ugcu2n said:
M-Power":23ugcu2n said:
Yet another amazing bike :cool: Where do you find them all ? :?

Yup, she's a beauty, I'm guessing they are all from Mombat? Pooftaflage would have been cool but I really like the dark blue with jelly beans too.

Bought it from a guy in California before the Mombat sales started. I must admit that I've bought one of two from Mombat as well. No Salsa, though.

that one is the Bomb, with that painted to mach stem....don´t ever give it away

Back