Independent Fabrication Planet X - updated

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
None of the long range builds here, get a frame, realise that you are some parts short, buy them, build and ride within a week (some luck on post involved naturally).

Build is a real mixture - barend shifters operating an M951 rear mech, an old XT front mech I got for a fiver (capacity for 48t) with a new Campag compact chainset and a Sram chain. Seems to work ok. Wildslippers unlikely to stay as 1) look gash and 2) don't grip to anything although great on the road.

A few thoughts on a cross bike v a mountain bike:

- it's really not that different than riding a mountain bike with Conti 1.5s (i.e. need higher pressure, can't simply plough across roots, good on smoother surfaces etc.)

- for the terrian near me I could ride/not ride everything on the cross bike that I can on the other bikes

- side by side top of the bars on this mirrors flat bars on my other bikes

- Salsa Bell Lap bars are very good

- good fun

Attachments

• IF lady of the lake.JPG
    IF lady of the lake.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,747
  • IF In the woods and#106FAD6.JPG
    IF In the woods and#106FAD6.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,747
Nice bike. Not fussed either way about the tyres, in terms of looks anyway, i know naff all about their handling! (never sacrifice style for speed though)
I know the trails i do from my house are ones that i could do on a cyclocross, but still take the 575 along them now and then!! :LOL:

Love the frame, nice looking build- well done.

I find Cross bikes a bit of a strange consept, they have never done it for me personally, I think it is the idea that when I am braking like crazy, trying to avoid the big hard tree/rock/dog/cliff, I prefer the sitting up position.

I think I would find it so much easier to part company with a mountain bike (thru my own choice) than a cross bike, and given I have been know to do this on the odd occation I have always avoided them.

Not really sure if this bike is in the right section anymore but just updated the build with some NOS skinwall cyclocross tyres (and I never knew that Smokes came in 700x45c).

It's only had a very brief spin so far but seems good although the fatter tyres give it a bit more of a monstercross feel than standard cyclocross - not far off a drop barred 29er really.

Attachments

• IF Planet X churchyard.JPG
    IF Planet X churchyard.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,335
  • IF Planet X 11-01-10.JPG
    IF Planet X 11-01-10.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,335
  • IF Planet Cross.JPG
    IF Planet Cross.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 2,335
DUDE! I love the look of your IF!.

it just happens to be my favourite colour too, I think the wildgrippers looked great but the skinwalls look like they mean business.

Tell us about the ride off & on road... I've been toying with the idea of a X bike for a while...

Can you run standard canti's on them? I have a nice set of control tech's that would look great on the right bike..

tyres look nice on there ed. better than the bike if was going to fit them too. the rear tyre is a bit special too. tried for a year to find a matching one.

KeepItSteel":3aghibm3 said:
Tell us about the ride off & on road... I've been toying with the idea of a X bike for a while...
I enjoy riding the cross bike as a change from a regular mountain bike as with the narrower tyres and more fragile wheels you have to pick your way a bit more carefully which makes very familiar trails feel fresh again. They are also good if you've got quite a bit of off road to get to the trail or, with a change of tyres, pretty good on road.

Basically they are versatile bikes that can handle most things well - as this chap shows with considerable style http://vimeo.com/11695455

KeepItSteel":3aghibm3 said:
Can you run standard canti's on them? I have a nice set of control tech's that would look great on the right bike..
Yes, the IF has Froggleggs (spelling may be incorrect!) which are the wide, batwing profile so give lots of mud clearance. No reason why you can't use lo-pro ones though. Issue with v-brakes is that a travel agent needs to be used as levers pull only a canti amount of cable.A few thoughts on a cross bike v a mountain bike:

jamabikes":3aghibm3 said:
tyres look nice on there ed. better than the bike if was going to fit them too. the rear tyre is a bit special too. tried for a year to find a matching one.
Many thanks as they are just the job I reckon.

Back