Eclipse Canyon Ltd 1984/5 -Finished-

Johnboy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I spotted the picture above while I was browsing on Shpock and my interest was piqued.

A couple of days later I was the proud owner of what I think is an Eclipse Canyon Ltd in need of some TLC from the early/mid 80’s.

I have no direct knowledge of that era as I didn’t get into ATB’s until the early 90’s, but what I’ve learned from searching on here is that Eclipse was the brand name of some bikes made for “Bike UK” shops owned by Greg Oxenham and included a range of road bikes as well. Jeremy Torr of English Cycles made a lot of the frames for Bike UK. More details here if you’re interested - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44909

The seller had owned the bike from new, around 1984/5 he thought, and explained that the cranks and rear mech were replaced in the early 90’s. Which ties in with the Exage 300LX parts that are fitted. I guess they’ll be the first to go. Other than that I’m going to use all the original parts if at all possible.

I know Ian62 on here owned a couple of these BITD, anybody else?

More pictures -

Attachments

• Mountain-bike-48b9582.jpg
    Mountain-bike-48b9582.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,665
  • Mountain-bike-6bd3329c.jpg
    Mountain-bike-6bd3329c.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 1,666
  • Mountain-bike-64cf97b3.jpg
    Mountain-bike-64cf97b3.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 1,666
  • Mountain-bike-6657f948.jpg
    Mountain-bike-6657f948.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,657
Re:

I managed to get in touch with Jeremy Torr to find out if this could be one of his. He couldn’t be sure but he said the serial number (857 15 SW 153 TJ) makes him think it probably is. The 857 might mean a manufacture date of July 85, although all of the original components are earlier. He said he can’t really remember what his numbering system was back then, he also said he hasn’t made a bike frame in decades.

Components and manufacture dates, where I can find them, as follows -

Frame: Eclipse Canyon LTD

Fork: Yes!

Headset: Specialized channel seal. Aluminium version, article here http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/201 ... dsets.html
Handlebar/Stem: Specialized Nitto Aluminium Bullmoose (R.V - August 1984)

Brakes: Dia-Compe 980 (03 83)
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe (09 83)

Shifters: Suntour LD-2800

Front Derailleur: Suntour Mountech FD-2700 (ZG - July 1983)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Exage 300LX, later replacement, probably for a fubared Mountech.

Cassette: Shimano MF-Z012 5 speed (NB - Feb 1989, later replacement)

Crank: Shimano Exage 300LX, replacement for original.
Bottom Bracket: Sugino. Bearings are dust and cups were cross threaded, oh what fun!

Pedals: Shimano XT M700 PD-MX15

Wheels:
Rims: Araya 7X 36 hole
Hubs: Suntour (ZE - May 1983)
Tyres: Tioga Psycho II. In pretty good condition, replacements for originals.

Re:

A little more from Jeremy -

All the frames I built used Reynolds - 501ATB mostly but occasionally a bit of 531 (not forks) might sneak in if the 501 stocks were low.

FYI the lugs were Haden, as well as the fork crown and BB.

Interesting post from Danson67 on Haden here - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=238584

Renovation coming along nicely, just got to get the spray can out and I should have it finished by Monday :LOL: .

Re:

Calling the Retrobike cognoscenti.

As I mentioned this era wasn't my ATB heyday and although I'm learning fast I don't know much about it.

So, I'm curious to know what were the popular tyres at the time (early to mid 80's)? The Tioga Psycho ii's that it has are obviously a later addition, I think? I don't anticipate finding any, I just would like to know. That's part of the fun about renovation for me, finding out about the components of the time.

I sourced some Sugino AT cranks to replace the 300LX's and the MT-68 asynchronous BB spindle that they need, but the chainrings foul the frame, so I've had to get another axle from SJS Cycles, a 5R which does the job nicely.

l've also fitted a Shimano XT M700 rear derailleur. I've read some unpleasant things about the original Suntour Mountech rear derailleur and although I don't have personal experience of it I decided not to take a chance.

Re: Eclipse Canyon Ltd 1984/5

Panaracer Timbuk II were good tyres around that time and they were available re-issued from the US. Tioga Farmer Johns were also popular also as a combo as a Farmer John (rear) and Farmer John's Cousin (front). Ritchey also had the Megabite around this time too. Finding anything skinwall is tough now (well in the under 2.0" width which most of the older frames need).

Carl.

Re:

Thanks for that Carl. I'll keep an eye open, you never know, but for now I'll have to stick with the Psycho's.

Now I know this has created quite a stir on here and you're all on tenterhooks waiting for an update :LOL: :LOL:.

So here is the finished article all shiny in the sun. I think it's turned out quite well, and it's nice to ride, feels very stable. Decals by Gil, of course. Paint by Chris Marshall. Endless degreasing/cleaning/buffing by me -

Attachments

• DSCF0294.jpg
    DSCF0294.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1,271
  • DSCF0310.jpg
    DSCF0310.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,268
  • DSCF0295.jpg
    DSCF0295.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,268
  • DSCF0296.jpg
    DSCF0296.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,268
  • DSCF0300.jpg
    DSCF0300.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,266
  • DSCF0307.jpg
    DSCF0307.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,268
  • DSCF0311.jpg
    DSCF0311.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,270
  • DSCF0316.jpg
    DSCF0316.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,273
Not a bike I am familier with. Nice job on the restoration. Great attention to detail :cool:

Re:

Hi Jonnyboy666

I have an Eclipse - frame no: 060855 - would you have any idea who might have been the frame-maker, I would guess the last three numbers suggest is was made May 1985 (when I bought it from Bike UK)?
I would like to get the decals - my bike is metallic silver (very 80s) and it just occurrred to me whether they did the decals in black as well as white - would you have seen any other colours but white?

Regards

Re:

Hi Guy, welcome to the site.

I'm afraid I have no idea who would have built your frame, is that all of the frame number? If you have JT or TJ stamped on the bottom bracket anywhere then it's probably one of Jeremy's. He did have a partner at the time but I only know his first name was Andrew. I did speak to Jeremy a while back but he couldn't remember a great deal about the serial number format he used at the time.

As for the decals, Gil will probably still have the ones he did for me on file and he will do them for you in any colour you like. He is gil_m on here, or he's on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/retrodecals. I can recommend him.

It would be great if you could upload a photo of it here sometime, there's not many of us around. It's not straightforward though, you might have to resize as you can't upload anything larger than 540K and I seem to remember you also have to have made ten posts on the site before you are allowed to, I think? Failing that you could just private message me with a photo and I'll upload it.

Re:

Hi - and thank you. Gil is sending me a set, except for the script for the rear stays - he doesn’t have that on file - did u get it from him (the handwriting type)?
Those are the only nos on the bottom of the frame.
I’ll send pics - & I’ve made a list of all the components I can ID - only the seat post I haven’t found a name on so far.

Back