'89 Orange Clockwork

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I bought this yesterday from ebay, haven't received it yet, but would like some advice as to what to do with it. such as component choice. What were they originally specked with BITD? I am on a bit of a budget and it will take some time to put together. I won't be able to do a respray atm so for now it will just be built up as is.

I hope the picture turns out big enough :)

Thanks

Alison

Attachments

• clockwork.jpg
    clockwork.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 704
Re:

Nice score Alison :D :cool:

Looking through the Orange archive in the 91' catalogue they offered the frame, then either LX, DX, XT standard, or Campagnolo, Suntour, Mavic, custom.

Always looks good with XT, DX or Mix of both ;) :D

Re:

Lovely. Had seen this but it’s too small for me.

Spec wise, as above, any half decent kit was available bitd. 89/90/91 also usually had none Orange branded saddle, seat post and handle bar so plenty of options. M550LX or DX fits the bill. You’ll need Mavic 231 based wheels too.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":25j12s2z said:
Lovely. Had seen this but it’s too small for me.

Spec wise, as above, any half decent kit was available bitd. 89/90/91 also usually had none Orange branded saddle, seat post and handle bar so plenty of options. M550LX or DX fits the bill. You’ll need Mavic 231 based wheels too.

It is for my son, struth will they stop growing out of bikes!! and he wants it 8 speed like his sister's '95 C16R, I would like to keep it period but he wants more gears, youth of today, no respect for the retro :)

Alison

My mates one had DX and eventually white Porcs

We fitted a lovely Mavic BB to it.

But that was some 29 years ago :shock:

Love the colour of these, does it need a respray? looks ok from here :)

Mountain LX would be a good spec and you can get most of it cheap nowadays, and running thumbies would sort the 8spd out :) DX also a solid choice.

mark

Re:

Looking forward to see how this turns out, I've just got hold of an '89 Clockwork frame too :)

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":cj1v9y5m said:
Just use XT or Deore thumbies with the hidden 8th click and a 8sp block. ;)

I was thinking now of going the DX line, but can you run an 8 speed chain on an MT60 chainset?

Alison

Back