My Trek 8700

retrodude

Retro Newbie
Hi I recently acquired this trek 8700 composite, with the cool semi carbon frame.

Its my first retro mtb and it's main use will be fairly light(ish) stuff coastal paths etc. I've started slowly making it my own. Im not looking to make it original but some parts like forks i want to be relatively in keeping with the frame. Added a few cheapo carbon bits, seat and bars already, but lots still to do. Previous owner added the forks and other bits, it came with the original forks which was cool.

The forks work well, although adjustment dial is stuck fast. They are very corroded outside and internally too I think. So looking to replace them with something in keeping with the bike so nothing too modern preferably relatively age correct well in the same decade ha. Suggestions please.

The bike seems very fast imo. But fairly skittish. I rode it fast downhill last night on dirty slight gravely pathway and I was almost frightened as it seemed on the edge. I don't know if it's the bike or the bontrager jones tyres. Frame felt stiff but I'm used to riding mid range full suspension.

I love the bike though. And any further suggestions for bits to add/take off appreciated as currently my retro mtb knowledge is limited.

Oh the campy atek rims, so light but doesn't play well with the later added vbrakes although i have it stopping well enough. Thoughts on removing them.

20180611_162202.jpg

Re: My Trek 8300 or 8700???

Lovely frames these, bit of a mix of parts but I’d say build her as you like her :)
I reckon a pair of Pace sus forks would work well to keep the light weight and carbon theme going or some gold coloured RockShox Judy XC’s.

Re:

Yeah the bike belonged to this bike mad family. First it was the fathers, then the mother had it and then one of there's sons. Was relatively looked after but not kept original. They just replaced and renewed bits as they went. Find it cool they kept it in the family for a long time.

Going for the carbon and red theme. I do want to keep the main bits of the bike, frame, gearing group set and wheels relatively period correct or original even.
Other bits modern is fine. It's not going to be used for anything really heavy duty, so trying to keep the weight down, cheap bits are ok as long as they are light and in aesthetic red carbon keeping.

Fitted some mg1 magnesium pedals in grey as they were on special offer will spray them red myself and fitted half decent bar plugs.

Next i want to fit some pace carbon forks but not sure which model to get need advice there. Might make a separate thread in the main section.
I want to put all the gearing back to original. Or something that is close to period correct.
Wheels need rebuilding.
Carbon seat post.
Handle bar stem needs replacing it's a little long for me.
Also need to get my riding fitness back up!

Re:

Found your bike post :)

Trek are well documented, as we have access to the catalogues and the tech info.
The forks are a lot newer, 00s era and longer than the bike was designed for,so may be causing the skittish feel, or may not.

Nice to see the front mech original method of cabling is still there. Don't loose the clamping parts.

http://www.vintage-trek.com/trek-fisher ... lemond.htm

Have fun reading.

And in 1993 they used the same frame for both models.

Find a serial number, it might help date it.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":377t7et1 said:
Found your bike post :)

Trek are well documented, as we have access to the catalogues and the tech info.
The forks are a lot newer, 00s era and longer than the bike was designed for,so may be causing the skittish feel, or may not.

Nice to see the front mech original method of cabling is still there. Don't loose the clamping parts.

http://www.vintage-trek.com/trek-fisher ... lemond.htm

Have fun reading.

And in 1993 they used the same frame for both models.

Find a serial number, it might help date it.

Thank you for the link. I had seen the back catalogues but not the tech stuff.

Yeah I new the fork was later. But only just realised how much later and it is imo a touch to long.
So need to sort that out.

On another note the cheap carbon bits are off. Seat was to much, so a Brooks is on for comfort. And handlebars look like they have stress marks (I might be paranoid) so going to fit a better quality carbon bar or retro aluminium bar, before they snap. Handlebar stem is being replaced with a shorter less bulky one.

Back