1991 Kona Hei Hei - Finished pics on page 5

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Following on from yesterday’s restoration of a 1995 Cinder Cone ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=384590&hilit=Cinder+cone )I thought it was time to introduce the new project. It initially started out as a completely different frame, a 1991 Cinder Cone painted in 92 red, here is the initial thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=382588&hilit=Cinder+cone

I then found this for sale in Canada and the plans changed again:

It’s still on route but should be with me soon for some better pics. It comes with Tange Switchblade forks with both a threaded and theeadless steerer, Syncros aheadset, Titec/WTB bars cut a bit short for me.

I have collected pretty much everything needed and as it was a frame only option in the UK I feel a part catalogue part own choice spec is suitable. Really looking forward to using mainly Suntour XC Pro on this as I have not owned/ridden a bike with it before.

The parts:

Re: 1991 Kona Hei Hei

Looking forward to seeing this one :)
I'm in a similar boat to you, waiting for a frame to arrive from the US, albeit as my friend will be bringing it over I need to wait a few months :(
Mines a little later but still just as special - 98 GT Xizang... and I know what you mean about plans as I was originally adamant I wanted a Zaskar LE, instead I spend twice the amount of a full bike on just a frame - wife thinks I'm mad.

Re:

That's going to be one very nice build, seems Kona's are the in choice of project at the moment, everyone is building one!

I had to let my Litespeed go for some apparently "essential" house repairs, but i couldnt bear to be without a project, so i managed to land 2 super cheap Kona's myself.

I think at this rate there needs to be a new spin off forum called RetroKona!!

Planned spec list, as we all know things change during any build ;)

Frame: Titanium 1991 Kona Hei Hei

Fork: Tange Switchblades

Headset: Shimano Deore XT threaded NOS
Stem: Kona Velocity
Stem Cap: Rubber bung
Handlebar: Titanium 560mm with alloy clamp shins
Grips: ODI attacks
Barends: None

Brakes: Suntour XC front and XC Pedersen self-energising rear
Brake Pads: Suntour
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chill Pills or Suntour
Brake Levers: Dia-Compe SS5

Shifters: Suntour XC Pro
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Suntour
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Suntour XC Pro
Crank Bolts: Suntour
Chainrings: Suntour Accushift Plus
Chainring bolts: Suntour
Bottom Bracket: Suntour XC Pro grease guard
Pedals: Suntour XC Pro grease guard

Hub Skewers: Suntour
Rims: MAVIC Energy M7CD
Hubs: Suntour XC Comp
Nipples: Black alloy
Spokes: Butted stainless
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke 26x2.1 Blackwall
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Avocet Racing Kona branded
Seatpost: Shimano Deore XT
Seatpost Binder: Shimano Deore XT

tonybrown5":1j2tc024 said:
Looking forward to seeing this one :)
I'm in a similar boat to you, waiting for a frame to arrive from the US, albeit as my friend will be bringing it over I need to wait a few months :(
Mines a little later but still just as special - 98 GT Xizang... and I know what you mean about plans as I was originally adamant I wanted a Zaskar LE, instead I spend twice the amount of a full bike on just a frame - wife thinks I'm mad.

Thanks Tony, it’s like being a kid waiting for Christmas, should have paid for air freight but went for the cheaper option that takes up to a month :facepalm:

You have to have the bike you really want if it’s going to be a keeper, let her know it’s an investment :LOL:

Re: Re:

pencilman77":2xgzyoqt said:
That's going to be one very nice build, seems Kona's are the in choice of project at the moment, everyone is building one!

I had to let my Litespeed go for some apparently "essential" house repairs, but i couldnt bear to be without a project, so i managed to land 2 super cheap Kona's myself.

I think at this rate there needs to be a new spin off forum called RetroKona!!

:LOL:

Whilst I’m waiting for the frame to arrive I have a mates old bike to restore for use with his kids, a rather lovely Claud Butler Enduro. It’s mainly dirty, a bit rusty and unloved but will look like new when I’m finished :)

Back