Yet another Explosif....91 Vintage...final version page3

pencilman77

Retro Guru
Well there seems to be quite a few around as projects at the moment, and here is my one. Picked up today from the original owner, as you can see from the pictures its been well used and since left for many years in a shed...

A quick check over and its dent free, the project two's are very crusty though! electrical tape had been used extensively to protect the frame, so its sporting some lovely 2 tone affects of shiny original and very faded hues.
Most of the spec is original, all deore xt, except some suntour brake levers??? a bent seat post, fizik saddle and answer stem and bars.

here she is in all her crusty / dirty glory!
UKRF8_RQb_Qr_Ovv_AILw_zjg_Q.jpg

b_Ffn16_KIRs_OJo_Lcze_THo_Tw.jpg

TNjyla_Dn_Rci_Di_Kh9_SYod9g.jpg

T0_I_I7sz_Rl_Khe_R2rah_PCPQ.jpg

H_cp_MOOm_Tm2_IUi2q48_CTHg.jpg

xv7_Mj_Dol_Taqp95_W5_Jz_GGbw.jpg

Re: Yet another Explosif....91 Vintage

This bike has seen some abuse, please love it up!! Should be a very rewarding restore...

Well some progress has been made, bike has been totally stripped down, and all components cleaned and checked. Amazingly under the grime, it hasnt actually had that much wear at all, so everything has cleaned up amazingly well. Many a night shift at work have been spent with copious amounts of metal polish and even steel wool to remove the many crustations that this bike was harbouring!
The only things that were beyond saving were the bottom bracket (bearings and cups shot), the pedals (cheap plastic bodied things), the tyres (although original and loads of tread, cracked and flaking), seat and seatpost (not original and post slightly bent!)

Also the fading on the frame was too much for someone with level of OCD to cope with, so the frame and forks are currently at the powdercoaters to be revived!

So all new parts are either with me or on route, hopefully get the frame back in a week or so and then i can get on with the build....

and before i'm asked.....No.. its not being painted in the original colours, No.. its not going to please the diehard catalogue spec restorers...lets just say my inspiration came from this bike pictured below! (well the tyres mainly) :mrgreen:
IMG_5438.jpg

pencilman77":2mt36j59 said:
Well some progress has been made, bike has been totally stripped down, and all components cleaned and checked. Amazingly under the grime, it hasnt actually had that much wear at all, so everything has cleaned up amazingly well.
The only things that were beyond saving were the bottom bracket (bearings and cups shot), the pedals (cheap plastic bodied things), the tyres (although original and loads of tread, cracked and flaking), seat and seatpost (not original and post slightly bent!)

Also the fading on the frame was too much, so the frame and forks are currently at the powdercoaters to be revived!

So all new parts are either with me or on route, hopefully get the frame back in a week or so and then i can get on with the build....

and before i'm asked.....No.. its not being painted in the original colours, No.. its not going to please the diehard catalogue spec restorers...lets just say my inspiration came from this bike! :mrgreen:
IMG_5438.jpg

So, under all the dirt the Kona was really a Trek :D

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":1p0izq7d said:
Wow amazing powder coaters, turned it into Aluminium!

Lush bike, did it really need paint?? :shock:

I should say the tyres were my inspiration,

unfortunately under the copious amounts of black electrical tape, the paint was just too far gone for me to be happy with, and the forks were crusty/pitted beyond belief! I just hope the new paint works :shock:

Re:

Looks like a very worthy project. After seeing your previous builds I look forward to seing how it comes along.

Its finally back from the powdercoaters!!

I went for a satin grey frame and satin black forks....personally i love it, but i know it wont be to everyones taste!
exp1.jpg

So with some fresh decals from Gil applied (not decided if i like the later style fork decals yet)
I gave it a quick mock up to see how my bits go on and crucially see if the Fat Frank tyres fit!!!.... :shock:
exp2.jpg

Still waiting for a few bits and bobs to turn up before it will be totally finished :cool:

Back