mk one

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
As i have pretty much finished my Kona builds for now, hopefully there is something new on the horizon :cool: i am starting the next couple of build projects which have been waiting paitently in the darkness of their boxes.

First up is my '95 Yo.

Original plan was to build it using as many US parts as i could. That didnt quite go as planned as prices of some parts i was thinking of using seemed to rise, and still are :shock: In the end i decided to just build a good usable bike instead of a hugely expensive art peice. The idea now is to build a bike i would have wanted back in the day to use as a race bike, bearing in mind i couldnt afford top drawer parts back then either :LOL: so might not be to everyones taste and will probably be another slow build.

Anyway, the frame is a '95 in Harlequin paint, it is a size S/M and is currently sporting a BOI fork. It has a frame no which doesnt fit with the system they used, so i posted on fatcogs but didnt really get any ideas back. I contacted Fat Chance and after a few emails back and forth they decided it was built for an employee but didnt have the records for it unfortunatlly.

I am looking forward to building it and riding it, hopefully this year :LOL: for now a couple of pics

Mark yoedd.JPG yoed.JPG

Last edited:
Re:

Lovely, not seen a red black Harly before. I spoke to IROBOT about unusual serials. Apparently when FCC was shutting down in 94 prior to its move to NY, some staff built bikes for themselves quickly before they moved on, using components that were readily available in stock. Hence the odd serials and sometimes eclectic builds ( 10Anni dropouts on a SAB ) or odd serial nos.

Re: Re:

viengsavanh":v5p50ktu said:
Thats a nice one

:) Thanks. Originally i was looking to build it up pretty much the same as the one you are building, strangely enough :shock: just missing the Grafton parts and a front CK. Money has stopped that direction and just building a lower spec version now :LOL:

M-Power":2ku2ag2l said:
Lovely, not seen a red black Harly before. I spoke to IROBOT about unusual serials. Apparently when FCC was shutting down in 94 prior to its move to NY, some staff built bikes for themselves quickly before they moved on, using components that were readily available in stock. Hence the odd serials and sometimes eclectic builds ( 10Anni dropouts on a SAB ) or odd serial nos.

Thats great info, thanks :) more there than i found after months of searching and asking about.

I did find talk of custom order built frames with choice of number stamped on bb and of course employee ones too. This came from a private collection in Austria so the custom built option was a good bet but after talking to the guys at FC i think its more likely an employee one, as do they. And your info fits in nicely with what i have been told about the frame and the age of mine :)

Cheers

Mark

mkone":20x2lcx9 said:
M-Power":20x2lcx9 said:

Thats great info, thanks :) more there than i found after months of searching and asking about.

I did find talk of custom order built frames with choice of number stamped on bb and of course employee ones too. This came from a private collection in Austria so the custom built option was a good bet but after talking to the guys at FC i think its more likely an employee one, as do they. And your info fits in nicely with what i have been told about the frame and the age of mine :)

Cheers

Mark

My recent Wicked Lite acquisition is a 94 X serial and ex employee bike. Probably why it has a one off paint job too.

M-Power":3d5nlbkf said:
My recent Wicked Lite acquisition is a 94 X serial and ex employee bike. Probably why it has a one off paint job too.

I see, how is that coming on by the way? :cool:

Started to put some parts together today.

Fitted the Chris King 2 Nut headset which for some strange reason i dont have a spanner or socket which fits it and right where the nut tightens to take up play in the headset the fork threads are tight so the whole thing is a bit looser than i would like at the moment, until i source a suitable spanner :)

Fitted a the Bontrager/Hyperlite combo which is soo light, which is only on until i find a 1" Control Tech stem and bar combo. Saying that i really like it so not such a problem at moment :)

Just a couple of pics of it now

Mark P1010209 (Medium) (2).JPG P1010216 (Medium) (2).JPG P1010220 (Medium) (2).JPG P1010226 (Medium).JPG P1010208 (Medium) (2).JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back