1994 Kona Explosif

benjabbi

Bontrager Fan
94' Explosif, always wanted one of these. This one is odd in that it lacks the ribbed downtube. Frame number F4048247 so late production for a 94'.
Can't get pictures to work on the PS4 so link https://flic.kr/p/Jcgh25
It's had a few guises (go through the flickr album to see) but is rapidly approaching how I want it.

Ooh that's bloody pretty!
It shouldn't have the fluted down tube though as it's a 94, fluted tubes were only present on the 93 explosif if I'm not mistaken!

Spudly":2wmq38ix said:
Ooh that's bloody pretty!
It shouldn't have the fluted down tube though as it's a 94, fluted tubes were only present on the 93 explosif if I'm not mistaken!

'94 has a ribbed down tube, same tubeset as the '93 ;) later '94 Explosifs tend to not have the ultrastrong tube though.

Kona tended to use the same tubesets for a couple of years at a time.

Mark

Yeah 93/94 had the same tubeset just the 94' went to suspension adjusted geometry. I'd like to know exactly what mines made of. I suspect it's a throw together of whatever Tange tubing was left over before the switch to Columbus for 95'

benjabbi":2gh76m2k said:
Yeah 93/94 had the same tubeset just the 94' went to suspension adjusted geometry. I'd like to know exactly what mines made of. I suspect it's a throw together of whatever Tange tubing was left over before the switch to Columbus for 95'

I would have thought the down tube is the same as the rest of the main tubes!? not sure though and would like to know also :)

Im sure someone will be able to tell us, Pip!!? :)

Re:

Hi folks

The tube set on mine is ultimate superlight so without the ribed down tube.
Do not know the serial thought ;)

Cheers
Chris

Finally worked out how to do photos from my phone! Heres the bike as per the OP, it's been through bling and back since! I'll post what it's like now when I've taken some more pic's :D 20180419_184710-1280x720.jpg 20180419_184653-1280x720.jpg

Last edited:
Back