1992 Kona Cinder Cone

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I think it’s finally time for a new project and as it was a 1992 Kona in the form was f a black Lava Dome that brought me into RetroBike I thought it was about time I had another from the same year. I’d been keeps my an eye out for an Explosif but they seem to be very thin on the ground so when this Cinder Cone came up I thought long and hard and eventually did the deal.

I haven’t really run any Suntour on bikes I’ve previously had and kept so I was drawn to the catalogue spec for these bikes using that manufacturer, unfortunately this one seems to have been specified with DeoreLX (maybe a UK spec?), a great group in itself but not what I’m after.

The frame condition and paint, plus an original Avocet Kona saddle in fantastic condition, meant it was the ideal starting point.

I thought it came with original wheels but it’s running more modern 8 speeds Shimano hubs on black MAVIC rims, I will be using some Deore M650’s on silver Ritchey Vantage Experts with Blackwell Panaracer Smokes. Eventually I’d like some Suntour XC Pro hubbed wheels so I can run the cassette and shifters.

A lot of the running gear has been sourced and is in the post, as per above I don’t have the full Suntour XC Pro kit so I’m hopeful my selection will work together for now:

XT thumb shifters
XC Pro mechs (I need a 28.6 band down pull non MD if anyone has one ;) )
Shimano HG cassette
XC Pro chainset
Shimano chain (Hoping it’ll run on the XC Pro rings)

Brakes are Dia Compe cantis in black with NOS XT M733 all black 2.5 finger levers.

Contact points will be the Avocet saddle and my favourite XT flat pedals and ODI mushroom grips.

Some pics for now before the full strip down and clean/polish:

Kona-Ian":1oj90ta7 said:
Nice bike.
As above, looks good condition.
Are you paying for photobucket?

I had an email a while ago saying I had to sign up to a paid account, I just ignored it and hoped for the best. Pretty sure that was over 30 days ago. What free photo sharing do you suggest?

Wheels are pretty much sorted now, I didn’t realise I don’t have a spare 7 speed cassette for this build kicking about so I’ve installed the 8 speed the bike came with minus the smallest cog for now until I source one.

Just need to find some quick release skewers now, hoping for some early XT type with rubber handles to match the seat qr in the post. Pretty sure I’ve sold a few pairs of these before on here not thinking I’d need them.

Flickr is what I use - no hassle at all

Minifreak":2zf2qcr0 said:
Kona-Ian":2zf2qcr0 said:
Nice bike.
As above, looks good condition.
Are you paying for photobucket?

I had an email a while ago saying I had to sign up to a paid account, I just ignored it and hoped for the best. Pretty sure that was over 30 days ago. What free photo sharing do you suggest?

Bollox64":z72wcib9 said:
Vantage Expert rims - Nice!

They are nice rims, I have a dark ano set on an early black XT rear and Pace front ready to swap over with the wheels currently on my Merlin.

If photobucket stops working for me I will try Flickr .

They can scrub up well :cool:

img1215ae.jpg

Back