Can anyone help?

helpfulwife

Retro Newbie
First let me apologize for my ignorance, but I am just trying to solve a problem for my husband and don’t know everything about this topic. I am hoping someone out there can help me!

My husband has a generation 1 GT RTS2 mountain bike that he has loved, babies, and enjoyed constantly for the last 15 years or so. The bike recently developed a creaking so he took it apart over the weekend and found a crack in the crank shaft (I could be wrong on the name of this but it is where the pedals screw in).

He is pessimistic that it can be fixed and is truly heart broken. Is there any way I can purchase an old bike from somewhere or better yet just replace the frame?

Can anyone help!?! It is like loosing a member of the family!

do some piccies so we can see what the crack looks like..you will have to resize the piccie tho so its less than 250kb in size(i think)

As long as it isn't part of the frame and just the part where the chain(the crank) goes on it should be easily repairable and fairly cheap too. If its the part of the frame where the bearings are for the cranks (the bottom bracket) it could be more terminal I'm afraid.

Hi Helpfulwife

Sounds like a crack in the frame at the bottom bracket shell, just behind the BB. Is this so? There are options that can discussed for a repair.

But if not, I am sure the crankset could be replaced.

Yes, need a pic,

Terry

It is definately part of the frame because he took it all apart over the weekend. I will see what I can do about pictures but it probably will not come out very well.

I believe the crack is 5-7 threads into to frame. I also believe this is the only threaded part of the frame if that helps you figure out where it is located.

looks like he's after a new frame then

RTS frames come up on ebay quite frequently

Does sound like a crack in the bottom bracket shell but a pic would be great to confirm this, as has been said RTS frames do come up for sale for reasonable money so it need'nt be the end of the world.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back