95 GT Pantera Fork Upgrade

95pantera

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,
I am new to the forum. I just picked up an old school GT Pantera, which I believe is a 94 or 95 year. The previous owner had the original Rock Shox Quadra 21R replaced with an unknown fork, but from my research seems to be a sunlite fork. I would like to put a suspension fork back on, and I am wondering what is the latest suspension fork I can put on this that has the v-brake bracket?

Attachments

• gt1.jpeg
    gt1.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 922
  • gt2.jpeg
    gt2.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 922
You can still buy new suspension forks that will work with a v - brake. Do you want a new fork or something that is period correct and functional?

Re:

I would prefer something period correct and functional. If I can ride without disc brakes then I can ride without the latest and greatest suspension.

A rockshox Judy would have been a good option in 95. They made them with cable hangers so that you can keep your period correct cantilever brakes. In 94 the mag21 or quadra would be the "right" one. Whatever you decide, 80mm is about as much travel as that geometry will take without dramatically changing the handling characteristics.

Re:

That looks like a '96 frame to me, so a Judy would be perfect. However you could also consider other forks from that era. most will be early air forks or elastomer though, both have their issues, but parts can still be found for most of the major brands with a little searching around.

The Marzocchi Z2 came out a year or 2 after that frame. It has a coil spring with 80 mm travel and is one of the smoothest shocks of the era. I have one on my Team Marin. I would recommend it over a Judy.

Re:

Photo0419_zpsokjmpxzx.jpg

These AMP F2's seem to work a treat on my Pantrea .

damn thats a clean pantera by the way.... 96 or later with that style mech hanger
any fork got to be better than that one!

Re:

Better than no fork at all and at £20 it runs quite smooth ;) this bike runs just as sweet as my two Zaskars and at a tenth of the price :shock:

Forks

I did mean the ridgid ones not the amps.... any suspensions better than none...
I have some amps,on an lts2 project.,great fork they are...

Back