Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:33 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:01 am 
Dirt Disciple

Well, once I get Gil’s graphics I will have a go!

I have been driving Gil mental trying to match the pink and blue, then we realised that the dimensions were off on the down tube graphic, so I’ve been out with the magic measuring device, think we have it now...

I’m trying to be super precise, as the paint is mostly really good, so I want to remove the old graphics (which will leave some simply black-painted patches hopefully) and be able to slot the new ones into the gaps.

I think I may splatter the graphics off the bike, then apply them, followed by carefully matching in the edges where the original splats overlapped the original graphics.

Been having two mechanical headaches now too:
- struggling to get the original headset race off the T2...you can’t use a regular race tool due to the crown. Problem is that a screwdriver/ hammer ain’t moving it either!
- the rear XC Pro NOS hub had the wrong axle and freehub body on it. I managed to swap and space the axle, and got the right freehub body through the forum, but now I can’t get the old body off as the hub isn’t built into a wheel yet.

I could obviously wait till I have built the wheel and hope it shifts when I can use the wheel to get more torque on it, but part of me likes to check assembly parts before I get that far! I spent an hour yesterday trying to clamp it it my workstand, but it just revolves no master how I try to clamp it :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:35 pm 
Old School Grand Master

There are a couple of members on here who have had the decals made, and maybe still have some :wink:

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Did you contact spanky22b? will be able to help with splatter colour and decals, or go through his threads, great reading anyway :)

Also sinnerman, another great reading source for many bikes, has a thread on restoring a ;90 Explosif and making his own decals, maybe worth contacting as he will have all scans and dimensions, pics of decals on page 3 of this thread :) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=125990&hilit=kona+explosif+decals+sinnerman

The forum is Full of info, just use the search and you can find most things :wink:

Mark

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Yep - have dropped a few people a few lines and hopefully Gil_M will come through for me soon - but if anyone reading ths can give a definiteive colour reference for th decals it would be SUPER useful!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:08 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

Signing in for updates. Sounds like you’ve got the bit between your teeth :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:53 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I too used to lust after these, looking forward to seeing this progress!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:14 am 
Dirt Disciple

have finally finished scrabbling together all of the parts I need for my build - yesterday I thought it woul dbe fun to gather them all together before I start doing any assembly ImageParts finished by Martin Hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:15 am 
Dirt Disciple

The stem has been resprayed - just waiting on the new Velocity graphics to be applied. Couldn't get a correct Impact Headset that wasn't a wreck or a later year, so went with XC Pro to match the rest :) ImageParts finished by Martin Hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:20 am 
Dirt Disciple

Brakes are NOS - and came with NOS cables too - but I couldn't locate any suntour NOS hangers, so these Dia Compes are very very close to the original black Suntour ones! ImageParts finished by Martin Hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:23 am 
Dirt Disciple

NOS drivetrain - pedals are scuffed slightly...I wasn't going to bother with them (XC Pro pedals are so damn pricey)....but my addiction to completionism forced me to get some...but I simply couldn't justify £500 on a fully immaculate NOS pair. These were scuffed, but still have all the grpahics and are very close to clean! ImageParts finished by Martin Hills

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next