1990 Kona Explosif - restoring the love of my biking life

Singletrack74

Devout Dirtbag
A couple of weeks ago I finally managed to get hold of the most important bike of my riding history - a 1990 black/pink/blue splatter Kona Explosif. First, a bit of misty-eyed memory farting...

This bike literally made me who I am - I have been involved in mountain biking ever since, and I have even ended up being fortunate enough to ride bikes in big mountains as my job for the past 10 years. And it is all because back in 1989-90, as a 16 year old kid I spent all my weeknds and school holidays working in the original Hot Pursuit bike shop in Totnes High Street, Devon...with the sole intention of saving up for the bike which I obsessively craved. Each night I drooled over the 1990 Kona catalogue, dreaming of this bike - and trying to work out if it would ever be mine.

I remember the day I first saw one in a bike shop window near Exeter bus station (maybe called Bike?) - and was amazed that it looked even better in real life than it did in the catalogue - instead of the black with pink streaks they pictured in the catalogue, the actual-version with blue and pink splatters looked incredible. I was smitten. I put down a deposit, saved, saved and saved and several months later she was all mine.

Over te following year I upgraded and augmented - it ended up with Manitou 1 forks, near full XC Pro, a 2km long Syncros Cattleprod stem, Flite Ti, lots of Ringle Ti bits, Campag Thorr rims, etc, etc, etc...

Fast forward 28 years and I finally have teh sapce to start a Retro Bike Collection - I have been keeping an eye out for an Explosif despite this forsverasl years, but have never managed to secure one. I have recently moved to West Sussex (yes, its is very flat here, even the "hilly" bits) and began casting my net around again - and a coup0le of weeks ago spied an Explosif monly 50 miles away. I begged, bothered, cajoled, enotionally blacmailed and haragued it's owner to sell it to me - and within 1 hour of first finding it was on my way to collect it.

It is in a very sorry state in many respects, but it does have a few good points too...

The good: the bike looks like it has done very few miles overall, so has pretty good paint other than a few scrapes where it has been lent against walls, and where cables have rubbed. At some point someone put a cable lock around the stem, locked it and lost the key - so it has been clanking around teh head tube ever since - causing some chipping which has rusted very slightly. The forks are the Original Track Twos - again, in pretty good nick, but one of teh top caps is missing, bizarrely. It also has the original Velocity stem - but the same lock has chipped and scratched it badly.

The Bad: everything else! The bars are bent, it has been fitted with a 99p headset from Halfords, a horrific bolted front wheel on a steel hub and a tasty pink and blue childrens saddle. The rock-like grips have been superglued to the bars, the rear quick release is snapped, the bottom bracket has been cannibalized (retaining one Suntour cup, but the rest is a cheapy Shimano steel unit), the brakes have been replaced with what look like early Alivio or similar - and bizarrely someone who doesn't get bikes has replaced front and rear brake cables avoiding all the cable stops with full-length outer... Shift and Brake levers are original (but a bit tatty) - but the chainset is in good condition - it even has the original rings, with very little wear.

A few days ago I stripped it down to the frame to get a good look at things (the lack of chips around the dropouts and really tidy chainstay/ bottom bracket paint continue to make me think it has seen very little use in its' lifetime really!

I have ordered a big pile of NOS parts from all over the World - things are starting to arrive so I will keep this updated with new developments as I go - my plan is to get it back to something pretty close to original spec, with one or two allowances for availability of bits these days.

I am super-excited to be doing my first retro bike - so excited, in fact, that last week I also picked up my first MTB too - an 88/89 Tufftrax....but that's a story for later!

Now, I am off to work out how I attach images....!!! :shock:

Looking forward to pictures and watching the bike get built :cool: hopefully motivate me to finish mine :facepalm:

Mark

Singletrack74":vridjb00 said:
Hmmm....how do I get images to just display rather than be a link?

View the picture on your flickr account that you want to add to your post > move cursor down to the 4 symbols on the bottom right > hover mouse over "bendy arrow" symbol second from left (Share Photo) > left click mouse to bring up new pop-up box > select Large 1024 x 768 from drop down box > copy highlighted code > paste into R.B. message.
Hey presto :D

Edit: Picture now removed at Singletrack74's request.

Pip

Dammit, I wanted to do it from my phone, not my pc, and it looks like this can’t be done via the app....I’m trying to make it simple instead of having to faff around?

When I tried last night I did exactly the above on my phone, but there’s no size option that I can see, so assume this step is necessary in order to make it work correctly...

Re:

I don't know anything about using a Smart Phone for this site as we all know that they are the work of Satan, and will be the demise of the society as we know it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:. I use a big bastard Desktop Tower with an eco-inefficient 180 watt PSU c/w a massive Monitor!

Seriously though, I'm sure someone on here will be able to give advice regarding using you phone to add pictures to a post.

Pip,

:cool: Thanks for your help - could you take that pic back off for now please, as I want to start with the complete bike as bought and work forwards? Or swap the link to one in my post above? Cheers

Re:

First option done - I don't have access to edit your posts.

I'm sure that someone be along soon to give advice on using a phone to add pictures.

BTW: That was a delightful and interesting story in your first post - It makes finding this bike even more special.

Pip.

Bad news, no direct way to post a pic from a phone unless you've hosted the picture on line, in which case paste the direct link and add the usual IMG coding bits.

Re:

I only post pics from my Iphone direct to here. Its easy as long as the image file size is small enough and theres an app for that :)

Lovely bike btw. I had the u brake version before it. Great handling bike which i sold to a mate who just kept borrowing it every ride :LOL:

Back