boy"O"boy's 1992 Marin Pine Mountain / Browning suspension

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi All. :D

Thought I'd start a thread on this one. 2nd project of 2018 out of my plan of 4!

Bought back in February last year, Initially it was intended to be a parts donor for another build. He's the initial 'outing' and discussion from the eBay/marketplace watch -

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=362512&p=2705821#p2705821

It soon became apparent that there aren't many of these about, so change of plan and go with a full restoration build on this one....

Bought new from Ben Hayward cycles in 1992 - it was a one owner from new bike. Years of having other bikes stored on top of it in a garage have done the paint no favours at all as it's very scratched. The frame is sound though, the super Rare browning forks work, albeit missing the top cap. It had recently been bought out of retirement for use as a road bike, so the built up pictures are as I purchased it.

Everything else is there…. Good RM17's on DX hubs, although the rear is going to need a rebuild as 1/2 the spokes are very loose!
DX group set - LX crankset.
Marin branded rubber handle seat QR

Initial Plans are -

Repaint in original colours with decals
Risers and bar ends have already been ditched. Flat bars in Neon orange
Powder coat 1 1/4" ahead stem
New M732 XT 1 1/4" threaded headset ( More pics to follow on this unusual set -up )
Period seat post.
Flite saddle.

Here's some pics of where I'm at.... (essentially just a stripped frame and a box of bits so far!)

Pics with Slicks and Flite Transalp are as purchased....

More to come.

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• MPM2.jpg
    MPM2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 4,440
  • MPM1.jpg
    MPM1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 4,435
  • PMBS2.jpg
    PMBS2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4,429
  • PMBS1.jpg
    PMBS1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 4,436
Re:

more....

Top pic - Marin branded seat Q/R lever

Pic 2 - DX Hubs on Araya RM17's...... Not too bad

Pic 3 - Missing top cap from Browning Forks

Pic 4 - Top cap needed. Most likely will be one of the most difficult pieces of the puzzle to find!

Attachments

• top cap1.jpg
    top cap1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4,407
  • top cap2.jpg
    top cap2.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 4,408
  • MPM4.jpg
    MPM4.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 4,406
  • MPM3.jpg
    MPM3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 4,406
Re:

more...

Pic 1 - Original flat bar Set -up. Most likely will paint a bar to match the neon orange of the frame.

Pic 2 - Browning cap /decal missing from lower part /brace of the browning fork. Again, probably another impossible part to find!

Attachments

• cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 4,402
  • bars colour.jpg
    bars colour.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 4,402
Re:

Research.....

As searched from Google images. Apologies in advance if they are your pics -

Pics 1 and 2
It appears that the down tube 'Marin' decals are in fact orange and not white. Mine are most likely 'Heavily Faded' - one set is missing.
'Pine Mountain' decal - Orange or White? I'll probably order both colours just in case!

Tubing decal on the seat tube?

Pic 3
'Team' version in different colourway. Does someone own that one on here?

Pic 4
Icono classic 2017. Another Pine mountain to take pictures of and make notes!
Tubing decal on seat tube appears to be Tange Prestige. Is this Correct? - There's not much catalogue information in the Archive on this one. I've got the Jan 1991 MBUK which features Paul Hinton riding the prototype version of this in sunny Climes, does any one have any more information on the 1992 production version?

Cheers all.

More updates to follow but please post any more info here if you've got it!

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• icono Marin..jpg
    icono Marin..jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 4,413
  • Team Marin BS.jpg
    Team Marin BS.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 4,416
  • research2.jpg
    research2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 4,411
  • research 1.jpg
    research 1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 4,409
Re:

Great stuff and really glad you didn't split this one. Interested to see it has a 1 1/4 headset as that means this must have been a stand alone frame and not just a standard PM. Mega rare!

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":3avzzwga said:
Great stuff and really glad you didn't split this one. Interested to see it has a 1 1/4 headset as that means this must have been a stand alone frame and not just a standard PM. Mega rare!

Cheers Ed! - Yep, these are definately not the standard '92 Pine mountain frame with a suspension fork. The shorter head tube is not only 1 1/4" but the angle have been adjusted to suit the raise of the browning fork. Was it just the prototype that was custom built or did Marin rely on some one else to build these frames?

Definately going to be fun trying to source top caps etc....

boy"O"boy

Re:

That's one special bike! What a super find, I love this era for mtb & bmx there was so much going on & companies were doing allsorts

Re: Re:

boy"O"boy":2wqds1j3 said:
brocklanders023":2wqds1j3 said:

Cheers Ed! - Yep, these are definately not the standard '92 Pine mountain frame with a suspension fork. The shorter head tube is not only 1 1/4" but the angle have been adjusted to suit the raise of the browning fork. Was it just the prototype that was custom built or did Marin rely on some one else to build these frames?

Definately going to be fun trying to source top caps etc....

boy"O"boy

Not sure who built them but the standard 92 PM didn’t use prestige from memory. Maybe they only made one type of this frame but badged it according to the groupset? Would make sense.

Back