1984 S&G by Araya "Muddy City"

randomdan

Retro Guru
Gonna take some imagination this one :roll:

I've always fancied a muddy fox project. the 80's couriers with the white paint and yellow decals. But.. why do that when you can buy a shopping bike :LOL:

Anyhow I think it might have potential... Components are all early '80s Japanese SR Sakae. Suzue. Araya, and Suntour parts which are, uhm, different in and mildly archaec way. Spokes are rusted to buggary, only 1x6 drivetrain and the brakes are comically ineffective.

So yesterday, took it for a ride around Red route at sherwood pines. Made it back alive and with a smile on my face, wondering what the last time a bike went around there that was this old :LOL:

I'm thinking it's 1985 from the serial number, but if anyone knows better please let me know. The paint is pretty bad so I'm thinking powder coating, It does look slightly better with the carrier, mudguards and chainguard off, but my plan is to replace the cranks with a triple or double, to improve the gear range and fix the terrible braking by changing to cantis or U-brakes. The frame hasn't got bosses currently so It'll need alteration but... why not :LOL:

Attachments

• ebay-pic.JPG
    ebay-pic.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,471
  • araya-stripped-of-mudgards.JPG
    araya-stripped-of-mudgards.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,471
  • araya-decal-toptube1.JPG
    araya-decal-toptube1.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,470
  • araya-rear-dropout-rustywheel.JPG
    araya-rear-dropout-rustywheel.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,466
  • araya-serialno.JPG
    araya-serialno.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,466
  • araya-bars.JPG
    araya-bars.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,467
  • araya-downtube-decal.JPG
    araya-downtube-decal.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,469
Re: Early '80s S&G by Araya "Muddy City"

I had this one, and regret selling it, it was in fantastic condition (aside from the chain) on the original tyres too.

Obviously it's your bike but as it sits it is quite rare, I like those old early hybrids, sure 1 x 6 is pretty limited but it was designed as a town bike and it's only original once...

Attachments

• DSC00653.JPG
    DSC00653.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,416
  • DSC00655.JPG
    DSC00655.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,415
  • DSC00658.JPG
    DSC00658.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,413
Re:

Yep... and that is my Dilemma. For now overdue a bearing service by about 30 years, so a strip down is inevitable.

I do wonder if some better pads might get more out of the caliper brakes, and keep the originality, but I'm convinced from my experience of brakes that cantis or U brakes make better stoppers than calipers ever did.

I did think of doing powder coat, as the rust is really quite bad - photos don't show it well, but it's popping through the paint so many places it's not savable with T-cut, which led me on to improving the frame to take better brakes.. that's my logic anyway :LOL: I take on board your comment about originality though, all views are welcome as I'm not really 100% sure what to do with it :roll: :roll:

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I have an S&G that was rescued by Chris on here, newer
parts on it with original paint and fire damage. Its a bit too big for me but I love it.

Attachments

• 18111356_1280123878738202_1161349196_o_zpsk7lfpov5.JPG
    18111356_1280123878738202_1161349196_o_zpsk7lfpov5.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,390

james1985":1jco6wmy said:
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I have an S&G that was rescued by Chris on here, newer
parts on it with original paint and fire damage. Its a bit too big for me but I love it.

:facepalm: wish i'd kept it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

Re: originality

I'd agree with the keep it as it was intended approach.

It's a sweet little bike that you could make really tasty with some new paint and well chosen parts.

CHeck out Rivendell for inspiration https://www.rivbike.com/
Centrepull brakes and lots of beautiful Japanese silver anodised goodness?

(& for the record, I think that the chain guard is epic and should be retained)

:cool:

fat tyres, mud guards, polish the chrome, clear coat the paint, new cables and ride it like you stole it

Re:

longun":1i5xby5i said:
fat tyres, mud guards, polish the chrome, clear coat the paint, new cables and ride it like you stole it

This - and a bit of work in between on the paint with something like Autoglym Super Resin polish. You'll be surprised at the results..

Personally I've never seen this model at all (and the Araya built bikes are cool/rare anyways), so +1 for keeping it original :)

Re:

Cheers for the comments guys.. and giving me some ideas of what to do

It's stripped down for a really good clean up, I do think It's probably going to get a repaint though, as the pictures don't show quite how bad the surface rust is, it's found it's way under the paint through various stonechips and lifting in big bubbles - polishing it just makes the top layer of paint flake off and exposes yet more rust :facepalm:

But - I'm coming around to a different way of thinking - worth keeping it original as possible. I'll probably keep the brakes as they are with some better pads, or possibly similar era diacompe centre-pulls as a sympathetic upgrade?

The frame is actually surprisingly lightweight - the fork is a bit heavier!

Back