Abominated GT LTS-3

MikeyMK

Dirt Disciple
It's first owner did some mileage on it for it's first several years, then hung it up in the garage where it sat ever since. Waiting for me to go and collect it.

Still wearing degraded Tioga City Slicker tyres, most of it's first brake blocks still smeared around the Mavics. It's chain lube set to a tar and an absolute war to remove from the frame. It'd seen no love, just use and storage. He was keen for me to know what i was buying, and i told him it was in good hands...

gVLeYaN.jpg

I lied. And so the strip-down began. First of all i stripped it to the bare frame, and built a Marin Alpine Trail frame up with all the parts. Effectively then, this is the same bike, just with a Marin frame. Then flogged that off. The reason behind this was that i didn't want the Marin or the GT's 21-speed SLX kit, or the non-disc Rock Shox, but i could make a bike with it all that someone would want...

Ow6gOWM.jpg

With the LTS-3 cleaned up, i found it was a bit of a minter. Most importantly, no wear or damage. So it was time to build it up as my new workhorse - a soft-riding e-bike used for everything, from the school run to shopping. With a kid on the back, two 15ah batteries, and up to 50mph capability from 1,900 watts (when she isn't on the back), i needed to do a rear disc conversion. I've found 180mm adequate though it has 203 up front.

Vn05GSf.jpg

I first ran it with the standard yellow elastomer, but this wasn't working out too well with all the extra weight. Flat at first, quickly running out of travel, into an early hardness. I needed a coil conversion. So i fabricated a pair of spring seats, allowing me to fit a 65mm 1000 lb spring. The result is fantastic, so much travel and comfort.. it can bottom-out with the kid, rear battery and shopping all on board if i drop a high kerb, but that's fair, it's a good compromise.

dtHnjME.jpg

At first i used coffee'n'cream Schwalbe Fat Frank tyres because that's what i was sent, but i soon changed them for toffee.

ZzSbJkO.jpg

There are quite a few changes made from it's first outing. Note the bigger controller sticking out the bodywork, since upgrading a few hundred watts, adding cruise control and energy regeneration. The new bags are huge, the brat fits in them, and they're incredibly strong canvas. The front chainring had to grow too (2x10-speed Deore XT Dyna-Sys).

awaaC0W.jpg

pzOmSNm.jpg

rvQ1KfB.jpg

It won't be most people's cup of tea, but it's in another world to ride. It's so smooth it's like riding on air, it's so well engineered it feels bomb-proof. It's a daily work horse and my best ever thing, it's all i need. But i daren't take it to show the old boy i bought it off - he'd have a stroke.

OAuKX6v.jpg

Wow. At first I thought about having a stroke, too. But looking at it closely it really is a fabulous job. And maybe the best use for an old LTS-3, really.

Hats off, Sir.

My only worries are abou that back seat. Seems a bit too much weight hanging off of that little seattube...

Thias":3gigvzfy said:
Hats off, Sir.
Thanks
Thias":3gigvzfy said:
My only worries are abou that back seat. Seems a bit too much weight hanging off of that little seattube...
I had the same concern, and didn't cut any corners addressing it. The seat post is so long, i had to notch it where the captive nut is for the water bottle. And it's cored.

I started with a new 400mm alloy post with an I.D of 20.9mm (O.D 26.8mm), then skimmed a thick fluted alloy 400mm x 22.2mm BMX post on the lathe to 20.8mm and whacked it in. As the BMX post stuck out by some 90mm, due to seizing 90mm from the clamp of the outer post, i then added a 'collar' i made from my old 350mm seat post. This just to lengthen it down the seat tube for extra stability, but the last inch of it had to be milled to pass the nut.

IMG_1325a-700x700.jpg

The core of the seat post then looks rather like a car wheel's squared snowflake/flower design with 6+1 voids. I'd take a photo but it's clamped with a drilled stainless bolt for security... It's one of the strongest parts of the bike.

The rear rack too had to be strengthened - it's braced to the stem and the oval tube has a lightly squashed top tube from an old Shogun cro-mo MTB frame pressed through it!

I recently hit a kerb at speed, didn't know it was there until the last moment (was crossing a car park) and the impact split the inner cavity of the rear wheel rim to a spoke hole. I had the rear battery on. No sign of damage or fatigue anywhere but the rim was finished. The rear spring had nowhere near enough travel. I still have a couple of longer coil springs in the post, to give more rear travel. The current one's only 60mm long, it doesn't utilise the full frame pivot range. But it'd never deal with this monster kerb, it was stelthily square-edged but about 8ins high...

Back