1990 SPEED splattered e-stay

Double-E F

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Picked this up yesterday (sorry for the crappy phone pictures..):

p5pb15530748.jpg

Don't recall having seen this brand before, paint and parts caught my attention.
It's full Deore XT, including pd-m731 pedals (that I'll probably replace by SPuDs anyway).

p5pb15530747.jpg

R/H shifter seems stuck, so I think I'll start off reviving this bike with a WD40 bath. Downpull XT front mech with a lovely tiny pulley.
Tyres are Tiogas, but they seem cracked; rims (FIR) seem barely touched; I'm surprised by the (tiny) area of the actual breaking surfaces on these!

Based on the limited information I got from the seller, I have reason to believe that this bike is of Italian descent. 1990?

Thoughts :D?

Re: My 1st e-stay: 'Speed' (splatter paint content..)

i think a good buy and nice frame. New to me. Like the colours too

The components look in good condition and the paint too, even though its always harder to tell with splatter from a distance, will be good to see some close up pics :cool:

What tubeset is it? and wouldnt an italian bike have italian threads, maybe a way to check if it is?

Cheers guys!

Paint is overall in very good shape; will try to get some better pics this weekend. Don't know what tubes these are: there is no obvious decal anywhere to be found.
Scanned the BB shell for an s/n yesterday and says something and 0151, so I guess at least an additional 150 of these beauties were around at some point..

p5pb15533764.jpg

The front mech pulley:
p5pb15533762.jpg

And some kind of peg on the drive side seat stay:
p5pb15533763.jpg

Seat post diameter is 29.4.

Will also check the threads on the BB: good point :)

To be continued.. Enjoy the weekend!

Re:

interesting bike, paint looks very good judging by the BB area.

The peg thing on the seat stay is to hook the chain onto when you take the wheel off, keeps it out of the way, they were very common on Raleighs

Reminds me of my Pacific e-stay from a few years ago, even had the chain peg

file.php

p5pb15530748.jpg

Re:

Look nowt like each other, apart feom the fact it's a bike

Estay style is different (raised downtube/boomtube style, the other is an crosstube.

Once extends past the tube, the other wraps around the tube.

Seat q/r is different

Wishbone Vs fastback.

You need to stop licking modern carbon bikes. ;-)

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3axqrx76 said:
Look nowt like each other, apart feom the fact it's a bike

Estay style is different (raised downtube/boomtube style, the other is an crosstube.

Once extends past the tube, the other wraps around the tube.

Seat q/r is different

Wishbone Vs fastback.

You need to stop licking modern carbon bikes. ;-)

I said 'reminds' me - the forks are identical as are the rear drop-outs and the paint also 'reminds' me as they are from the same era.

Both are also brands rarely seen in the UK

Mine also had a pulley and a band on mech - they are very likely from the same factory - yes I know they are different but you think back 25 years or so and what frames were being produced where etc etc.

Is the Speed 1 1/4 size stem/ headset?

The forks were really nicely finished

file.php

And the rear end looks finished the same way as this one

file.php

Back