DYNA-TECH DIABLO

CrossFred1978

Raleigh Fan
Hi all, my new project arrived yesterday 1994 Raleigh Dynatech Diablo AL.(frame and fork)
Bonded titanium/cromo frame and U.G.L.I fork.
been looking for one for ages always aspired to own one when i could only afford an mtrax,got
one now so on with the show :)
won it for £50 on ebay, this is a paintwork restoration project the laquer has badly peeled on the exposed titanium tubes and the aluminium lugs and fork crown have oxidised under the paint causing it to bubble up. im stripping the downtube and toptube paint with stripper being carefull to avoid the bonded lugs i will then polish these and im going to sand back the rear triangle and fork crown,prep and repaint both.then hopefully get some new seatube decals from Gil.
im thinking of building up with '94 deore lx 7spd, or i do have 90% of a 97 8spd stx rc group which is in great condition.

heres a few starter pics and i will add more as i go
cheers
andy

Attachments

• diablo 3.jpg
    diablo 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,358
  • diablo 2.jpg
    diablo 2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,360
  • diablo 1.jpg
    diablo 1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,360
  • diablo 4.jpg
    diablo 4.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,360
  • diablo 5.jpg
    diablo 5.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,359
DYNATECH

evening all, thanks for the interest guys. anyway been busy on this all weekend locked away in the shed so far ive stripped the corroded parts down to bare and rust treated, 1200g wet & dry rest of frame to give a good paint key and primed. next day i flatted back the primer and followed this up with two cans of fords finest panther black. and the next day i applied the first coat of lacquer.
i still need to sort decals for the seat tube and then topcoat lacquer.
also forgot to mention the fun i had polishing the two titanium tubes. once i peeled all the flaking clear coat i had to strip the paint from the ends of the tubes and then set about polishing.
had to rub back with 2 then 3000 g w&d paper the attack it with autosol, not looking to bad but forgot to take pics of this before i masked up :facepalm:
tell me what you think of the UGLIs, something different? i had to strip the crown due to oxidisation but couldnt help myself with the wet and dry and autosol. still might paint them yet :?
anyway enough twoddle heres the pics so far..

andy

Attachments

• diab7.jpg
    diab7.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • diab6.jpg
    diab6.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,160
  • diab5.jpg
    diab5.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,158
  • diab4.jpg
    diab4.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • diab3.jpg
    diab3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,159
  • diab2.jpg
    diab2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,161
  • diab1.jpg
    diab1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,161
Looking good, have you done that before then!?

Like the idea with the forks, might look ok once on the bike and match the ti tubes.

Back