New old Kona Lava dome

Kipperfillet

Retro Newbie
This is my first post on any forum so be kind! Having got hold of a 1998 Kona Lava dome in green with the RS Indy fork and in near new and original condition. I was wondering what others views were on what I should do with it. Should I keep it all original or are there any upgrades that are a must. I will be riding it and not just drooling over it in the shed. I used to have a Fire Mountain which I regrettably sold many years ago and just got the urge to have another early Kona.

Re:

Hi and welcome

There is just something right with retro Kona ,s :D

As for what you do with it i guess it depends what you plan to do with it lol !
is it your only bike ? what sort of riding you do ? etc etc .

I certainly find the full on race position that was fine in the 90s not so comfortable and a bit of a handful now on anything but shorter more sedate rides ( all i can manage now :LOL: ) so my go to bike , a Kona of a similar age runs a very slightly shorter stem and riser bar , better forks etc .
The long and short is its your bike so it has to suit you and your riding .
Enjoy it :D

Hi shinobi,

thanks for the warm welcome.

I do have another modern full suss bike so the Kona will be used mainly for relaxed rides on a Sunday to and from various watering establishments. I do like the sound of a more comfortable upright riding position but without spoiling the looks. What`s the Indy fork like? is it that bad it would have to go?

Re:

I have a 95 Cinder Cone that i use for similar duties , its pretty tatty and i just didnt get on with canti brakes so it has v brakes but its a pretty much stock riding position with rigid project two forks and it rides great , gentle pootle with the other half or sometimes a nice sunny day and some single track you remember how good these things still are :LOL:

The RS indy forks were a bit flexy from memory but if the innards are still good im sure they will be fine , although if you already have a full susser maybe a return to rigid with some protect twos ? remember the way things were :LOL:
Cheers Paul

PS get some pictures up !

Latest posts

Back